The Procurement Card is designed to be used when purchasing low dollar (under $2,499) retail type items. Any merchant who accepts Visa as payment for purchases accepts the Procurement Card.
The Dartmouth College Procurement Card (P-Card) Program is designed to improve efficiency in processing low dollar value purchases ($2,499.00 or less) while providing adequate documentation of expenses, appropriate charging of expenses, and approvals.
Read the full Procurement Card Policy.
- The P-Card program is a method for conveniently paying for allowable small dollar
- The Business Expense Policy provides specific requirements for allowable travel and business expenses.
- The Dartmouth P-Card Program is designed to improve efficiency in processing low dollar
value purchases ($2,499.00 or less). The P-Card is a Visa Card and can be used to
make purchases for goods (and some services) with any merchant who accepts the Visa
Card. P-Card transactions for non-restricted commodities cannot exceed $2,499.00 per
transaction (including all delivery, shipping and/or special handling charges).
- P-Card transactions are for items of tangible ownership and basic services. P-Cards
may not be used for entertainment expenses, or any travel related expenses (with exception
of some bus tickets).
- P-Card transactions are approved and allocated to the appropriate chart string or
PTAEO in Dartmouth's P-Card system. Each night approved P-Card transactions are loaded
into the general ledger. Approvals should be done in the system weekly, prior to sweep
days, i.e. Fridays each week. Finance Centers and/or Department Approvers have between
15 and 20 business days to reallocate P-Card purchases to the appropriate chart string
or PTAEO before the P-Card system automatically posts the transaction to the default
account. The Sweep/Post Date for each transactions in shown in the P-Card systems.
- Documentation for P-Card purchases is expected to be delivered to the appropriate
approving entity within seven business days from date of purchase. See details regarding
required documentation below.
- Receipts are not required for items under $75 purchased on a P-Card, with the following
exceptions. Due to NCAA rules and regulations, all varsity coaches and non-coaching
staff members with sports specific responsibilities in those varsity sports are required
to submit receipts for all purchases and provide a descriptive business purpose, regardless
of amount. Purchaser must submit through eForms (OnBase). https://www.dartmouth.edu/~fincenter/forms.html,
a business purpose and the chart string no matter the dollar amount. At $75.00 and
over the receipt must be included. Only exception is for WB Mason where no submission
is required if the purchase is for office supplies and the chart string is the default.
- All items purchased with Dartmouth funds (subvention, grants, gifts, or reserve funds)
are the property of Dartmouth College.
- If a Cardholder doesn't abide by Dartmouth College purchasing policies, the Procurement
Card Non-Compliance penalties will go into effect. The P-Card is a privilege, not
- It is strongly recommended that before anyone uses or is given a P-Card they review
all P-Card policies and regularly use the Procure-To-Pay Guide for obtaining the correct
method to pay for goods and services.
- Contact your Finance Center, Department P-Card Approver or Procurement Services with questions prior to purchasing items or anytime you need assistance.
- Submit P-Card receipts individually using the P-Card e-Form
- Cardholder name, business purpose, and chart string are required
- Please enter vendor and amount to help with matching receipts
- Exception for WB Mason: if office supplies and default chart string, no submission is necessary
Arts and Sciences: Statement and Receipt Archiving
P-Card Approvers submitting PCard Statements with receipts are responsible for:
- Reconciling the monthly statement with required receipts* for each cardholder
- Monthly submission of the scanned statements with matching required receipts using the P-Card eForm
Do not submit, if the bank statement lists
- all charges are < $75 ;
- all charges provide level III detail; or
- no charges (blank statement)
* Required receipts – charges > $75.00 and charges that do not provide Level III detail