Student Resources

Scholarships, Fellowship Grants, Stipends and Similar Payments


  • Scholarships - Amount paid to, or for the benefit of, a student at an educational institution to aid in the pursuit of studies. The student may be an undergraduate or a graduate.
  • Fellowships - Amount paid to, or for the benefit of, an individual to aid in the pursuit of study or research.
  • Scholarship Prizes - Amount won ;by or awarded to a student at an educational institution to aid in the pursuit of studies. The student may be an undergraduate or a graduate.
  • Pell Grants and Other Title IV Need Based Education Grants - Need based grants are treated as scholarships for purposes of determining their tax treatment.
  • Qualified Tuition Reduction - Allows you to study tuition free or for a reduced rate of tuition. Is only qualified if you receive it from and use it at an eligible educational institution.
  • Veterans Benefits - Payments received for education, training, or subsistence administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). These payments are tax free.


Dartmouth College

Internal Revenue Service

Student Loan Interest Deduction (1098-E)

Interest paid on a student loan may be tax deductible.

The interest you paid for the prior year will be printed on the bottom your February through April billing statement. This is for your Perkins, DELC, and/or institutional loans handled by Dartmouth College.

If you paid $600 or more, ECSI will send you a 1098-E tax form. You are able to view and print your 1098-E online. You will need to go to Account Tools and click Tax Information.

If you paid under $600, please use the information at the bottom of your billing statement. You will not be able to view this online. You must use the information on the bottom of your billing statement.

To determine how much interest you paid on a Stafford loan, you must contact your Stafford lender.

For any questions regarding how to include this information on your tax return, you must contact a tax advisor.

Here is some helpful information:

Student Tuition Statements (1098-T)

Dartmouth College is required to produce the 1098T by IRS regulations. It can be used to claim the educational tax benefits outlined in IRS Publication 970. The information on the form will assist you in completing your tax return. If you need further assistance, please consult a tax advisor. Forms are mailed each year on or before January 31 to the student's permanent address.

Dartmouth College is not required to send this form when the amount of grants and scholarships for graduate students is equal to the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses billed.

You are not required to include the 1098-T form when filing your taxes. The information has been provided electronically to the IRS by Dartmouth. We recommend that you keep this information for your tax records.

Form Details

  • Box 2 displays the total amount the student was billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (e.g. Student Activity Fee) in the tax year.
  • Winter Term charges are included in Box  2 and are billed to you approximately 6 weeks before the term begins. If you are charged for a term that begins in the next tax year, you will also see that Box 7 is checked. This box indicates that a portion of the amount in box 1 or 2 includes charges billed for an academic period beginning January - March of the next tax year.
  • Box 5 displays the total amount the student was given in scholarships and grants in the tax year. These are scholarships and grants administered and disbursed by Dartmouth College. There may be other organizations which provided scholarships or grants to the student which will not be included on the 1098T.
  • Because the Winter Term tuition and fees are normally billed in November of one calendar year and scholarship being disbursed in January of the next year, this often leads to the tuition charges being reported in the tax year prior to the reporting of the scholarship or grant payment.
  • The Tuition Statement Detail Report (TSDR) itemizes the eligible expenses billed and scholarships or grants provided to you, plus all payments (including loans) applied to the student's account during the federal tax year.

If you have questions on the tax impact of the information reported on 1098T, please consult a tax advisor.

Obtaining Copies of the Current and Previous Year 1098-T Forms

Currently enrolled students may access their current or previous 1098-T forms on Banner Self-Service. Select the 1098-T menu option. Graduated or currently inactive students may call or e-mail our office to request a hard copy of their 1098-T forms.

It may be 7-10 business days for Student Financial Services to manually generate a duplicate copy. Please confirm that your tax form has not been received at your permanent address. You may contact us to receive the information we reported to the IRS on your behalf.

Last Updated