Reporting Property Damage (Building, Equipment, Contents)
Dartmouth College’s property insurance program provides broad all-risk coverage for damage done to College-owned buildings and equipment/contents, subject to a tiered deductible policy. Damage to a building is subject to a $50,000 deductible which is the responsibility of the building custodial department (FO&M, DCAD, Geisel, Tuck, Thayer, etc.). Damage to equipment/contents is subject to a $10,000 deductible which is the responsibility of the department which owns the equipment or contents. Expenses associated with a loss must be tracked to ensure proper allocation of costs.
- When a loss occurs, the reporting department is responsible for taking immediate action to protect undamaged property and to minimize damage.
- Claims that are expected to exceed 50% of the above-noted deductibles should be reported to Risk Management & Insurance within 24 hours of discovery. Late reporting may bar coverage of the claim. The reporting department shall complete the Property Loss Report and e-mail it to Risk.Management@Dartmouth.edu.
- If the loss involves the theft of College property the reporting office should also notify Safety and Security.
- Detailed itemized estimates to repair or replace the damaged property need to be provided to Risk Management & Insurance. For losses greater than $50,000 two or more quotes are recommended.
- Damaged property needs to be retained for inspection by Risk Management & Insurance or the insurance adjuster.
- Faulty equipment or defective parts that cause a loss must be retained to enable pursuit of recovery from the responsible manufacturer or contractor.
- A worksheet summarizing the cost of repairs with supporting paid invoices needs to be provided to Risk Management & Insurance in order to receive reimbursement.
- Damaged property should be repaired or replaced and all documentation needs to be submitted to Risk Management & Insurance in a timely manner, within 180 days of the loss. Failure to do so may void the claim making the reporting department responsible for paying for the full cost of repairs. Requests for an exception beyond 180 days due to extenuating circumstances may be granted by Risk Management & Insurance.
Please contact the Associate Director of Risk Management and Insurance at (603) 646-3837 if you have any questions.