Expense Reporting & Reimbursements
Table of Contents
The Business Expense Policy provide specific requirements for Dartmouth College travel and other business expenses. An allowable business expense is defined as necessary, reasonable, appropriate non-compensation expense incurred for a valid business purpose to fulfill the mission of Dartmouth College. The Business Expense polices also identify the documentation required to substantiate requests for reimbursement. These policies are necessary to ensure the proper use of Dartmouth resources and compliance with federal and other external regulations.
Read the full policy.
- Submit the iExpense Expense Report directly in iExpense (see below for Step-by-Step Guidance)
- Or complete the Expense Report Request eForm to submit to have your iExpense Expense Report prepared by your Finance Center
- For A&S, see ASFC and Research Contact List for approver at the A&S Finance Center
- The Expense Report Request eForm is not available for Geisel Employees
Students & Visitors
- Complete the Payment Request eForm for Students or Other
- Need to itemize expenses? Use this handy Business/Travel Itemization Template and attach it to the Payment Request eForm
Meals & Entertainment Matrix
The Meals & Entertainment Matrix provides guidance on the acceptable payment method for meals and the documentation and details required for reporting.
iExpense allows faculty and staff to enter and submit expense reports using a standard web browser or a mobile device and integrates with Oracle Payables for quick processing and payment.
Helpful Guides & Resources
Employees & Employee Delegates
- Quick Start Guide (pdf)
- User's Guide (pdf)
- Creating Nicknames in iExpense
- iExpense Navigation: Assigning Delegates, Default Template, & Nicknames (video)
- iExpense Expense Report: Creating an Expense Report (video)
- Grant Manager Guide (pdf)
Troubleshooting & Common Issues
Download and print these instructions.
- Default Approver (Optional): Preferences (right hand corner) > Expense Preferences > General > Enter Approver name (last name first) in Approver field > Save
- Allocations: Chart String Nicknames (Optional): Preferences > My Allocations > Enter an "Allocation Name" (the nickname that will display in a list of values when creating an expense report) in PTAEO or GL sections with the appropriate segment values > Save
Step 1: Start an Expense Report
- Login to iExpense and choose DC iExpenses > iExpenses Home > Create Expense Report
Step 2: Complete General Information
- Name (defaults to yourself) > Purpose > Approver > Expense template (Domestic or Foreign) > Accompanying DC Personnel (if applicable) > iExpenses Home > Next
Step 3: Clear Credit Card Transactions (Corporate Card)
- This step will only appear if you have a corporate credit card. Select credit card transactions to be cleared, assign appropriate Expense Type, and itemize the receipt if necessary by clicking the Details icon > Next
Step 4: Enter Receipt-Based Expenses (Personally Paid)
- For each expense paid for with personal funds you must provide the following: Date, Merchant Name, Receipt Amount, Expense Type and Justification (if the expense type is Gifts, Moving, or Entertainment); Itemize the receipt if necessary (e.g. alcohol) by clicking the Details icon > Next
Step 5: Request Per Diem Meals
- If requesting meals per diem, click on the "Per Diem Expenses" tab and provide the Date, Expense Type, Destination (use the flashlight icon to search), and Number of Days. If you need to deduct certain meals, click on Details icon > Next
Step 6: Request Mileage
- If requesting mileage, click on the "Mileage Expenses" tab. The current mileage rates for the dates and expense type will be automatically calculated. Provide Start Date, Expense Type (Business, Charitable, Moving), Trip Distance (total miles), Location From, and Location To details > Next
Step 7: Complete Allocations
- Allocation will populate with your default chart string. Select "PTAEO Allocations" to update to a grant account. Select "GL Account Allocations" to update the GL account. You can select nick names if they are set up.
Step 8: Apply Advances
- This step will only appear if you have an outstanding advance. You must apply any outstanding advances or document the reason for not applying the advance. See user manual for detailed instructions on how to apply an advance > Next
Step 9: Attach Receipts, Review and Submit
- Attach required receipts (see column labeled "Imaged Receipt Required) by clicking the "Add" button in the attachment section. Browse in your scan(s) and select "Apply." Review your report to ensure all expenses are listed. Select "Submit." The approver listed in General Information (step 2) will receive an email requesting approval for your submission.
The default chart string for iExpense Expense Reports is maintained in HRMS. To update the default iExpense Expense Report chart string for an employee:
- Visit eForm Library and choose the General Request eForm.
- Select "General Request/Other" Request Type.
- In the Request Explanation field, provide the employee's name, NetID, and the chart string that should be used as the default in iExpense.
- Click "Submit" to have the request routed to the Finance Center for the string to be updated.