Direct Deposit and Go Paperless
Direct deposit is a safe and easy way to have your money deposited directly into your United States banking account to either a checking or savings account or both.
Table of Contents
Any ongoing, regularly-scheduled payment, including Salary payments from your Payroll, short-term and long-term benefit checks, benefits issued by state governments, such as retirement and pension payments and employee reimbursement from Accounts Payable.
Direct Deposit is set up through Employee Self-Service.
Note: Adding or editing Direct Deposit options is not available while Payroll is processing. This is typically the Wednesday - Friday prior to the biweekly pay date and monthly on the 29th - 30th or 31st.
- Click on Dartmouth Employee Self-Service and select Direct Deposit.
- Select Add Deposit Payment in the Employee Payment section.
Hint: Have your bank routing number and account number available – this information is on the bottom your bank account checks.
- Complete the following fields:
1. Amount Type: select Monetary (for dollar amount) or Percentage of your payroll payment to go to this account.
2. Amount: Enter dollar amount or percentage amount, based on Amount Type.
3. Account Name: Chose a name for this account that makes the most sense to you.
4. Account Type: Select Checking Account or Savings Account.
5. Account Number: Enter your bank account number. If you have a check available, this would be the second (or middle) series of numbers.
6. Transit Code: Enter your bank routing number. If you have a check, this would be the first series of numbers on your check.
7. Bank Name: Enter the name of your bank.
8. Bank Branch: Enter the location of your branch.
9. Preferred AP Account: Enter Yes if you would like to select this account for direct deposit for other payments made to you through accounts payments (expense reimbursements, loans, etc.) or if you would like these payments to go to a different account, see Setting Up Direct Deposit for Accounts Payable below.
10. Click Apply.
Money will be in accounts on the actual payroll pay date. If the payroll pay date is a Saturday, Sunday, or a holiday, the money will be in your account the next business day. Please remember that Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) may not reflect the deposit immediately. ATMs often take up to two days after the transaction date to reflect changes.
Generally, the direct deposit will take effect two pay dates in the future. During the first pay period after Direct Deposit is requested, Payroll verifies the account by running a "pre-note" process (verifying the accuracy of the account information).
On the second pay date, money is transferred to your bank account. You will receive a NON-NEGOTIABLE STUB showing the amount of your direct deposit unless you have elected to use Go Paperless. In that case, you can log-in to Employee Self-Service and view your Payslip anytime.
If you create or make a change to Direct Deposit by the middle of the month your direct deposit will be in effect for your next payroll. A "pre-note" process (verifying the accuracy of the account information) is submitted every Friday and takes ten days for it become effective.
If you elect to start direct deposit information during the last two weeks of the month, you will receive a paper check and your direct deposit will be in effect the following month. * Please refer to the Payroll Schedule to get the exact deadline date.
You can automatically deposit your pay into multiple bank accounts, however we suggest limiting the number of deposits to two. These accounts may be with the same or different banks.
For expense reimbursements and other non-payroll payments
To change or select a different bank account for your Accounts Payable payments, go to Direct Deposit in the Employee Self-Service to access the Manage Payroll Payments screen and choose which account (if you have multiple accounts) you want your payments for non-payroll Accounts Payable payments, such as expense reimbursements, to be deposited into.
- Click on the pencil to Update*
- On the next page, next to: Preferred AP Account, enter Yes
- Click Apply
*Note: Adding or editing Direct Deposit options is not available while Payroll is processing.
This is typically the Wednesday - Friday prior to the biweekly pay date and monthly
on the 29th - 30th or 31st.
With current and historical access to employee payslips and annual W-2 tax forms, employees are strongly encouraged to 'Go Paperless.' You will no longer receive paper copies of these documents, instead choosing to access the information via the internet 24/7. Employees will receive an email when their payslip is available online.
- From the main menu, select Go Paperless.
- In the Go Paperless Screen, you will need to actively update each of the document types that you no longer wish to receive in printed form. The annual Federal W-2 Tax form has two selections that must be updated, the W-2 and the W-2C (which is only issued if a correction is made). The Employee Payslip has one selection.
- Select one line at a time and click Update.
- Select No in the Paper dropdown field if you wish to select the paperless option. Be sure that Yes is selected in the Online dropdown field. Then click Apply.
- Repeat this process for each document type that you no longer wish to receive in paper form.
- Each Document Type you update will have the word “Updated” on the line when you return to the main screen.
- Once you’ve made all your changes, click Next.
- Click Submit on the Review screen to complete the changes.
- You will then receive a confirmation message. Click Home to return to the main menu.
Employees who have elected to "Go Paperless"
- Receive email notifications a few days prior to payroll date, to be received on Friday payroll date. For Non-Exempt Staff, this is typically the Wednesday prior to the Friday payroll date. For Exempt/Monthly Staff, this is a few days prior to the first of the coming month.
Employees who have not elected to "Go Paperless"
- Non-Exempt/Biweekly Staff or Student - One day prior to payroll date, to be received on Friday payroll date.
- Exempt/Monthly Staff or Student - One day prior to payroll date which is the first of each month. If the 1st is on a Saturday or Sunday payroll will be mailed out on Thursday to be received on Friday.
Employees who have elected for Direct Deposit of AP Payments, going paperless is automatic. Employees will receive notification of non-payroll payments when the transfer deposit has been made to your bank account.