Employee Time Management
Staff & Student Timecards
All hourly-paid employees must use the Kronos Electronic Timecard system to record their work hours. Employees with web-access should login in to Kronos to track hours worked. See Staff & Student Timecards for detailed instructions on using the Kronos Electronic Timecard system.
Time Reporting Best Practices
Expectations for All
- Follow the Time Reporting for Hourly Staff & Student Employee Policy
- Time-Entry Accuracy
- Employees are paid for every minute worked
- Worked time reported the day of work
- All time reported by 11:59 PM, Saturday Pay Period End (PPE)
- Established expectation for hours worked, breaks, overtime, and paid time off
- Timecard reviewed by Supervisor Monday morning after PPE
- Corrections entered by 12:00 PM on Monday after PPE
- Ensure that employees are paid for all hours worked.
- May not falsify, alter, or incorrectly record or report hours worked by an employee, or instruct or advise an employee to do the same. Any of these actions are grounds for corrective action, up to and including termination.
- Must ensure that a non-exempt employee who has worked 5 consecutive hours has a meal period free from any work responsibilities.
- Must ensure that an employee who misses a meal period or whose meal period is interrupted is paid for the meal period.
- Must ensure that they review all timekeeping reports.
- Must record and submit corrections for any errors or omissions before they are submitted for payment.
- When an error is discovered on a timecard that has been approved:
- The employee and supervisor must sign the completed correction paper timesheet correction.
- Paper timesheet must then be submitted to Finance Center.
- The Finance Center corrects the Kronos timecard. If the pay period has been signed off by Payroll, the Finance Center will work with Payroll to correct the pay period.
- Must discuss and document using the Exception Log any changes to the employee timekeeping record and have the employee record their
consent to the change.
- Note: If the employee disputes the accuracy of any time adjustments for wage payment purposes, the dispute must be resolved in favor of the employee absent indisputable evidence that the adjusted time is correct. Under no circumstances may an employee be paid for less time than they actually worked.
- Supervisors should report disputes that are not resolved to Human Resources.