Short-term hires of graduated Dartmouth students
Graduated students cannot continue to work as student employees post-graduation with one limited exception. Hiring or continued employment of Dartmouth graduates must follow Dartmouth’s established regular or temporary staff hiring processes. Read on for details if this pertains to you or your graduating student employees.
Effective March 2023:
Departments that wish to hire Dartmouth graduates for 9 or more months post-graduation:
Work with your staff/divisional HR Liaison to follow standard staff hiring processes for regular (non-temp) employment. | min. 4-6 weeks lead-time needed
Departments that wish to hire Dartmouth graduates as temp staff for > 3-8 months post-graduation:
Work with your staff/divisional HR Liaison to follow standard temp hiring processes. | min. 4 weeks lead-time needed
Departments that wish to hire Dartmouth graduates as temp staff for 3 months or less post-graduation:
Work with your staff/divisional HR Liaison to hire a GST (Graduated Student Transition) temp staff position under an expedited GST hiring process (see the limited exception to this process below). | min 3 weeks lead-time needed
- Work performed in the GST temp job must be a continuation of the same work previously performed by this individual as a student employee (Not a new position or role for the individual)
- Departments should start GST Temp Staff Action in DORR as soon as they know they wish to continue to employee the graduated student post-graduation, but no later than 2 weeks prior to graduation
- GST temp position must include an end date no later than 3 months (12 weeks) post-graduation
- GST Temp Action in DORR must specify the start and end date of role within the action & must match the PA
- Any continuation or future employment after this GST limited assignment must follow standard temp/staff processes
- This option is available to departments and Dartmouth graduates who are continuing employment and recording hours within 2 weeks of their graduation (future hires following a break in work of longer than 2 weeks following graduation should follow standard staff or temporary hiring processes)
- Notify your staff/divisional HR Liaison as soon as possible that you wish to hire using the GST temp staff hiring process
- Work with your staff/divisional HR Liaison to initiate the creation of a GST position and hiring request
- Once the GST position is created in DORR, you will receive a private application link to provide to your graduating student employee.
- Follow-up with your graduating student employee to ensure they (1) complete the online application and (2) respond to the email from HireRight.com to provide consent to the required background check a minimum of one week prior to graduation.
- Once provided the private application link, complete the online application within 24 hours.
- Watch for and respond to the email from HireRight.com to provide consent to the required background check a minimum of one week prior to graduation.
- Learn to use the Kronos timekeeping system for staff and enter each time for each shift on the same day that the hours are worked.
- On/after first day of work in GST position: review Employee Mailing Address and Direct Deposit information in Employee Self-Service and update as needed.
- Create New Temporary Staff Position Description in DORR (Staff hiring system)
- Position Title must include ‘GST’ (e.g. GST – POSITION TITLE)
- Key Accountabilities, Required Qualifications, and Preferred Qualifications: copied/pasted from the student job description
- Identified Hire name field: Must contain the full name(s) of every graduated student that will continue their employment post-graduation (Multiple names may be indicated if the position will be filled by multiple individuals who are graduating from Dartmouth)
- Reports To field: Must contain the name of the individual who will be directly supervising the graduated student’s continued employment
- Department sets the pay rate unless the same role already exists within the Dartmouth
system and there are multiple incumbents in the position.
o Example: Research Assistants – will need to be paid within standard rates set by the college based on experience
- Student graduates from Dartmouth and has only one term of ‘gap’ before re-enrolling at Dartmouth in another degree-seeking program. (e.g. Undergraduate graduates in June and has been accepted to start Dartmouth graduate program in Fall term)
- Student has already been entered into Banner as an Active student for the new program.
- Student has employment authorization to work for Dartmouth College (has a completed Form I-9)