Work Study & Non-Work Study Information

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded program that was established by Congress through the Higher Education Act of 1965 to aid students in need of financial assistance in earning money to meet educational costs. If the student qualifies for federal aid (determined by the government), the amount of federal aid awarded is included in the financial aid package. Earnings are not applied directly to the tuition bill, but are used by the student to cover costs such as books, personal items, and transportation. FWS funds may only be earned in Dartmouth College paid student positions or in approved off-campus non-profit community service employers. 

To determine if you are FWS-eligible, please see your financial aid award letter or consult with the Financial Aid Office. Your award letter will indicate maximum federal work-study earnings for the academic year. Students who feel that they may work beyond their allotted eligibility should consult with the Financial Aid Office to determine if they are eligible for additional FWS funding. The earnings limit is only applicable to Federal Work Study allocations in aid package, which means that there is a limit to the amount you can earn in a 'federal work-study only' positions.

Leave-Term Work Study

A student is only eligible for Leave Term Work-Study if they will be enrolled the term following the leave request. For example, a student whose d-plan is "enrolled" fall, spring and summer terms would be eligible to apply for Leave-Term FWS Funding in the winter term because they scheduled to return to classes in the spring term.

Students interested in working for an on-campus employer or a participating local non-profit agency during a leave term should send an email from their Dartmouth email account to Financial Aid to request a Leave Term Work-Study award.

Non-Work-Study Employment

All employment-eligible students are encouraged to work as a part of connecting to Dartmouth regardless of their federal work-study eligibility. A student DOES NOT have to be awarded Federal Work-Study or Non Work-Study Employment from Financial Aid in order to work.

Start searching for a job by selecting the Find a Job link from the Student Employment portal. If you're not sure how to use the system, please look through the online training resources in the portal.

Students are welcome to work as many hours as they are legally able, but cautioned not to become overwhelmed. Remember, you are here to learn and do well in your classes!

Last Updated