Leadership is about inspiring others to give their best, cultivating collaboration,
and delivering results.
Dartmouth LEADS is an investment in individuals who demonstrate a commitment to ongoing learning and professional development. The dynamic and engaging nine month program is cohort-based, with space for 16-20 participants representing a unique cross-section of Dartmouth.
About the Program
Over the course of the program, participants will:
- Create a personalized leadership development plan anchored in a 360-degree assessment of their unique strengths and growth areas.
- Create an Action Learning Project that meets a departmental/divisional priority.
- Strengthen communication and leadership skills.
- Gain confidence to serve as a leader in their departments, teams, and divisions.
- Create a collaborative cross-institutional learning community.
- Learn and develop skills to create and maintain an environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equity.
Dartmouth LEADS is a selective program. Applicants must be nominated by their supervisor or a divisional leader in consultation with the nominee’s supervisor to apply. Applications do not guarantee participation in the program, as we aim to create a well-balanced and diverse cohort.
The program runs every two years; information for the 2023-2024 cohort will be available in early 2023.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Demonstrated high potential to be in a leadership position.
- Ability to commit to consistent participation in the 9 month program, which includes one day per month of training, up to 6 hours per month of additional learning, and prior to the first session in October, attend a Communicating with Impact workshop.
- Positional authority within their team, committee, or department to lead and influence change.
- A demonstrated commitment to their leadership role, a willingness to be challenged and learn from experience, and an interest in cultivating self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Would benefit from cross-institutional exposure leading to the development of a professional network.
The Role of the Supervisor
Supervisor commitment to these expectations is fundamental to program outcomes. If a supervisor is not able to commit, the participant's experience is compromised. It would be inappropriate for a participant to be accepted into the program without explicit supervisor commitment.
Nominees must have a supervisor who is committed to playing an active role in the nominee's experience (should they be accepted). The expectations of the supervisor are to: sign a letter of commitment as part of the nominee's application process, support the participant's time commitment to the LEADS program, attend an introductory session to review the supervisor's role in the program, conduct a monthly learning conversation with the nominee, partner with LEADS participant to create an Action Learning Project, and offer support and guidance to the direction of the project. We cannot accept a participant if one's supervisor is unable to commit to these requirements.
- An update resume
- Presention of an Action Learning Project to senior leaders, their cohort, and managers. The project does not need to be completed, but it should meet a departmental/divisional priority.
Dartmouth LEADS Sessions: 2021 – 2022
Download the 2021-2022 LEADS packet.
Prerequisite workshop (if accepted to the LEADS program)
Communicating with Impact must be attended prior to the two day retreat. A link will be sent to LEADS participants to register for the session, which will be held on Friday, July 23, 2021, 8:30 a.m. to noon.
LEADS Kick-off Breakfast: Tuesday, September 21, 2021
- Breakfast (for cohort and supervisors): 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.
- Cohort Meeting: 10:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
- Opening Program Retreat
Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. with networking opportunity from 4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 15, 2022, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 15, 2022, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Action Learning Project Presentations
- Tuesday, May 17, 2022 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.