Leadership is about inspiring others to give their best, cultivating collaboration,
and delivering results.
Dartmouth LEADS is an investment in individuals who demonstrate a commitment to ongoing learning and professional development. This dynamic and engaging nine-month program is cohort-based, with space for 16-20 participants representing a diverse cross-section of Dartmouth.
The nomination period for the 23-24 LEADS cohort has ended.
Nominations for the 25-26 LEADS cohort will begin February 2025.
Nomination Application: Click Here
About the Program
Over the course of the program, participants will:
- Create a personalized leadership development plan anchored in a 360-degree assessment of their unique strengths and growth areas.
- Create and present an Action Learning Project (ALP) that meets a departmental/divisional priority. The Presentation of the ALP will be to senior leaders, their cohort, and managers. The project does not need to be completed, but it should meet a departmental/divisional priority.
- Strengthen communication and leadership skills.
- Gain confidence to serve as a leader in their departments, teams, and divisions.
- Create a collaborative cross-institutional learning community.
- Learn and develop skills to create and maintain an environment that fosters diversity,
inclusion, and equity.
Dartmouth LEADS is a selective program. Applicants must be nominated by their supervisor or a divisional leader in consultation with the nominee’s supervisor to apply. Applications do not guarantee participation in the program, as we aim to create a well-balanced and diverse cohort.
The program runs every one and a half years; information for the 2025-2026 cohort will be available in early 2025.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Demonstrated high potential to be in a leadership position.
- Ability to commit to consistent attendance and participation in the nine-month program, which includes one day per month of learning, please note that the month of October has two learning dates, and up to six hours per month of additional learning.
- Positional authority within their team, committee, or department to lead and influence change.
- A demonstrated commitment to their leadership role, a willingness to be challenged and learn from experience, and an interest in cultivating self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Would benefit from cross-institutional exposure leading to the development of a professional network.
- The deadline to nominate an individual is, Friday, March 31, 2023.
- Interested nominees wishing to apply will need to submit an application, the signed letter of support from their supervisor, and an updated resume by the deadline. Deadline to apply is Friday, May 12, 2023.
The Role of the Supervisor
Supervisor commitment to these expectations is fundamental to program outcomes. If a supervisor is not able to commit, the participant's experience is compromised, therefore we cannot accept a participant if one's supervisor is unable to commit to these requirements.
Nominees must have a supervisor who is committed to playing an active role in the nominee's experience (should they be accepted).
The expectations of the supervisor are to:
- Sign a letter of commitment as part of the nominee's application process.
- Support the participant's time commitment to the LEADS program.
- Attend an introductory session to review the supervisor's role in the program.
- Conduct a monthly learning conversation with the nominee.
- Partner with LEADS participant to create an Action Learning Project, and offer support
and guidance to the direction of the project.
Dartmouth LEADS Sessions: 2023 – 2024
Download the 2023-2024 LEADS packet.
LEADS Kick-off Breakfast and mandatory workshop, Listen to Understand:
Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Breakfast (for cohort and supervisors): 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.
- Cohort Meeting: 10:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
- Cohort lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Listen to Understand: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Opening Program Retreat Days
Tuesday, October 10, 2023, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and
Wednesday, October 11, 2023, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday, October 11, 2023, 4:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Optional networking opportunity
- Tuesday, November 14, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Networking breakfast 8:30 - 9:00)
- Tuesday, December 12, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Networking breakfast 8:30 - 9:00)
- Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Networking breakfast 8:30 - 9:00)
- Tuesday, February 6, 2024, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Networking breakfast 8:30 - 9:00)
- Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Networking breakfast 8:30 - 9:00)
- Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.(Networking breakfast 8:30 - 9:00)
- Tuesday, May 14, 2024, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Action Learning Project Presentations