2023 Short Term Disability Benefits
Dartmouth offers short-term and long-term disability benefits to regular, benefits eligible full-time and part-time employees working 20+ hours per week and 9 months annually. Dartmouth's disability plans are administered by Lincoln Financial Group.
Contact Lincoln Financial Group
Your Account: mylincolnportal.com
Short Term Disability Policy
Please click here to review the full Leave of Absence (LOA) Policy, which includes additional information not found on this website.
Eligibility and Enrollment
In the event you are unable to work due to a disability, or are pregnant and having a baby, the Short Term Disability (STD) plan can provide income replacement for up to 26 weeks. Benefits are determined by your employment category.
- Non-Exempt employees are automatically enrolled in the Short Term Disability benefit upon hire at no cost.
- Exempt employees and Research Associates Bs and Cs are automatically enrolled in the Short Term Disability benefit upon hire at no cost.
- Faculty Members, please refer to the faculty handbook.
- SEIU employees, are automatically enrolled in the Short Term Disability benfit after 90 continuous days of union service at no cost.
- Research Fellows are not eligible for this benefit.
Amount of Coverage
Disability benefits are determined by your employment status of Non-Exempt (Non-Union), Exempt and SEIU as outlined below:
- Week 1: Elimination period of five days and employees are required to use available personal and or vacation time. If no time available, then the time is unpaid.
- Weeks 2-8: paid at 100% by STD benefit
- Weeks 9-26: paid at 60% by STD benefit*
Exempt, Research Associate B's and C's
- Weeks 1 & 2: Elimination period of 10 days, paid at 100% by the department.
- Weeks 3-8: Paid at 100% by STD benefit
- Weeks 9-26: Paid at 60% by STD benefit*
Please refer to the faculty handbook
The duration of benefits depends on the number of continuous years of service as of the last day worked prior to disability.
- Elimination Period: Benefits begin to pay on the sixth consecutive day of absence.
- Those with 90 days to one year of service receive two weeks* of 100% salary replacement.
- Those with one to two years of service receive six weeks* of 100% salary replacement.
- Those with two or more years of service receive 100% salary replacement for the first eight weeks* and 60% for weeks nine through 26.
Please refer to your union contract for more information about this benefit.
Initiating a Short Term Disability Claim
For information on when and how to file a Short Term Disability Claim, please visit our Short Term Disability Leaves webpage.