2023 Short Term Disability Benefits
Dartmouth offers short-term and long-term disability benefits to regular, benefits eligible full-time and part-time employees working 20+ hours per week and 9 months annually. Dartmouth's disability plans are administered by Lincoln Financial Group.
Contact Lincoln Financial Group
Your Account: mylincolnportal.com
Eligibility and Enrollment
In the event you are unable to work due to a disability, or are pregnant and having a baby, the Short Term Disability (STD) plan can provide income replacement for up to 26 weeks. Benefits are determined by your employment category.
- Non-Exempt employees are automatically enrolled in the Short Term Disability benefit upon hire at no cost.
- Exempt employees and Research Associates Bs and Cs are automatically enrolled in the Short Term Disability benefit upon hire at no cost.
- Faculty Members, please refer to the faculty handbook.
- SEIU employees, are automatically enrolled in the Short Term Disability benfit after 90 continuous days of union service at no cost.
- Research Fellows are not eligible for this benefit.
Amount of Coverage
Disability benefits are determined by your employment status of Non-Exempt (Non-Union), Exempt and SEIU as outlined below:
- Week 1: Elimination period of five days and employees are required to use available personal and or vacation time. If no time available, then the time is unpaid.
- Weeks 2-8: paid at 100% by STD benefit
- Weeks 9-26: paid at 60% by STD benefit*
Exempt, Research Associate B's and C's
- Weeks 1 & 2: Elimination period of 10 days, paid at 100% by the department.
- Weeks 3-8: Paid at 100% by STD benefit
- Weeks 9-26: Paid at 60% by STD benefit*
Please refer to the faculty handbook
The duration of benefits depends on the number of continuous years of service as of the last day worked prior to disability.
- Elimination Period: Benefits begin to pay on the sixth consecutive day of absence.
- Those with 90 days to one year of service receive two weeks* of 100% salary replacement.
- Those with one to two years of service receive six weeks* of 100% salary replacement.
- Those with two or more years of service receive 100% salary replacement for the first eight weeks* and 60% for weeks nine through 26.
Please refer to your union contract for more information about this benefit.
Initiating a Short Term Disability Claim
For information on when and how to file a Short Term Disability Claim, please visit our Short Term Disability Leaves webpage.