Wellness Benefit Options
All active employees who regularly work 20 hours per week, at least nine months each year (sometimes referred to as "benefits eligible"), can elect a free Wellness Benefit option each year, even if you waive medical coverage. These wellness benefits are offered as a benefit of employment and not as part of the group health plan.
Wellness Benefit Options
• Option 1: Pulse Program provides cash rewards of up to $400 ($800/family) for participating in a variety of activities including step-based team MOVE IT challenges, individual healthy habit challenges, Journeys on a variety of well-being topics, daily health tips, activity, sleep and nutrition trackers, and more
• Option 2: Fitness Reimbursement Benefit provides up to $225 for expenses incurred for fitness facility memberships and exercise class fees (including online/DVD exercise classes)
• Option 3: Dartmouth Fitness Membership at Alumni Gym provides a free Dartmouth Fitness membership to all of the facilities including Zimmerman Fitness Center.
New for 2023! Memberships will begin on January 1, 2023 for employees who elect the Dartmouth Fitness Membership Wellness Benefit during Open Enrollment for 2023; all other memberships will remain on a fiscal year cycle.
- If you are a new hire in 2022, and elect Open 3, your membership will be effective from July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2023 (value: $450).
- If you elect Option 3 during Open Enrollment and are a current Dartmouth Fitness member at Alumni Gym, and paid out of pocket for your current membership, you will receive a refund of $225 by February 1, 2023; the value of your Wellness Benefit for 2023 will be $450.
- If you elect Option 3 during Open Enrollment and have the Dartmouth Fitness Membership wellness benefit for 2022, and are a current Dartmouth Fitness member at Alumni Gym, the value of your Wellness Benefit for 2023 will be $225 as you have already received and been taxed on the value of a full year’s membership through June 30, 2023.
Wellness Benefit Comparison Chart for Open Enrollment
During the annual Open Enrollment period of October 17 - October 31, 2022 all active benefits eligible employees need to elect one of three wellness benefits in FlexOnline for 2023.
All new employees will elect one of these benefits when they enroll in benefits.
You will not be able to change this election until the next Open Enrollment period. Active benefits eligible employees will only be able to change their elections on an annual basis during Open Enrollment. Any elections made during open enrollment will be effective January 1.
All three wellness benefits are subject to taxes and the applicable taxes will be withheld from payroll. If your spouse earns rewards through the Pulse program or receives reimbursements for the Fitness Benefit, applicable taxes will be withheld from the employee's paycheck.
Options for Retirees
Retirees, enrolled on a Dartmouth College-sponsored health plan, only have access to the $225 Fitness Reimbursement Benefit. Consistent with current practice, all reimbursements for retirees will be submitted directly to Cigna and the reimbursement, up to $225, will be provided via a check mailed to the retiree's home address.
Any reimbursements received as part of the Fitness Benefit are considered taxable income. Retirees should consult their personal tax advisor regarding the proper reporting of this income.
If an active employee retires mid-year they will continue with their elected wellness benefit through the remainder of the calendar year they retiree in, and then will transition to the Fitness Reimbursement Benefit for the following calendar year.