In most instances, the Sponsor Research Manager will be responsible for assigning Expenditure Types based on the awarded budget categories. However, if the award (NIH Program Projects) requires multiple PTA accounts, the Sponsored Research Manager will work with the Department Grant Manager to get a detailed budget breakdown by expenditure type for each project number set up for that award.
Budget Template (Excel)
Here is a copy of the standard Expenditure Types to use when inputting budgets in OGA and RAPPORT:
- Faculty (Budget Only) --- 6000A
- Student Enrolled Graduate --- 6261A
- Fringe Benefits --- 6500A
- Scholarship Awards --- 7000A
- Scholarship Award Pre-Doc Fellowship --- 7005A
- Scholarship Award Tuition Remission --- 7007A
- Capital Equipment (dollar value $5,000 or greater) --- 7100A
- Material Supplies --- 7400A
- Supplies Animals --- 7411A
- Capital Equipment (dollar value $25,000 or greater) --- 7565A
- Purchase Service --- 7600A
- Participant Research Patient Care --- 7673A
- Professional Fees --- 7700A
- Subawards --- 7792A – 7793Z (indirects on the 1st $25K)
- Subawards --- 7795A – 7795Z (no indirects)
- Foreign Travel --- 8110A
- Domestic Travel --- 8140A
- Other Direct Costs --- 8400A
- Indirects – On Campus --- 8511A
- Indirects – Off Campus --- 8512A
NIH Modular Grants
If we receive an NIH Modular Grant, the Sponsored Research Manager will budget Direct Costs into Expenditure Type 8400A and Indirect Costs into Expenditure Type 8511A (if on-campus) or 8512A (if off-campus).
If there are Subawards on the NIH Modular Grant, the Sponsored Research Manager will contact the Department Grant Manager asking them to send them a Subaward Budget Template.
NIH Program Project Grants
If we receive an NIH Program Project Grant, the Sponsored Research Manager will contact the Department Grant Manager to determine how many PTA Accounts need to be set up. In this instance since there are multiple PTA Accounts that will need to be set up for this grant, we will need the Department Grant Manager to send us Budget Templates for each of the PTA Accounts under this grant.
All Other Grant or Contract Awards
For all other Grant and Contract Awards, the Sponsored Research Manager will assign general Expenditure Types based on the awarded budget categories. Please note Expenditure Types marked Budget Only are only used for budget purposes, actual transactions should not be put against Budget Only Expenditure Types.