Upon successful completion of the Defensive Driving course, the applicant will be considered an Approved Driver, eligible to operate a College-owned, leased, rented or personal vehicle on College business, including 12-passenger vans, mini-buses and trailer towing.
Student Driver Approval
To apply for approval as a College Approved Driver, students must have a need to operate a vehicle for use in connection with a College-sponsored activity and hold a valid US or Canadian driver's license.
It is expected that all approved College drivers will comply with local and state requirements, as well as the Dartmouth College Student Driver Policy.
Sedan, Van, Mini-bus and Trailer Towing Approval
- Obtain and review the Dartmouth College Student Driver Policy.
- Thoroughly complete the Student Driver Application Form. NOTE: The form must be printed, completed and signed before submitting. Faculty, administrator or program director must also sign the application form. If the application is not fully completed it will be returned.
- The application, along with a copy of the student's driver's license, should be presented or sent to Transportation Services for review.
- If a satisfactory motor vehicle record is received from the state issuing the individual's drivers license, and the student is not disqualified by Undergraduate Judicial Affairs, the student will be provided access to the College-sponsored on-line Defensive Driver course.
- Upon successful completion of the Defensive Driver course, the student will be considered an approved driver, and their name added to the list of Approved Student Drivers.
There is a $30.00 charge for this online training and test. When scheduling, please submit a chart string or other payment method.
Employee Driver Approval
Employees having the need to apply for approval as a College Approved Driver must:
- Have a need to operate a vehicle for use in connection with College business, and hold a valid US or Canadian driver's license.
- Complete an Employee Driver Application form. The form must be printed before completing.
The application, along with a copy of the employee's driver's license, must be delivered to Transportation Services in the basement of 1953 Commons or e-mailed to Transportation Services, for a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check.
- All employees applying for approved driver status must complete an on-line Defensive Driver course administered by Transportation Services.
- Upon successful completion of the Defensive Driver course, the employee's name will be added to the Approved Drivers Listing.
- It is expected that all approved College drivers will comply with local and state requirements, as well as the Dartmouth College Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Policy.
- For Employees hired to drive vehicles with the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) + 10,001 LBS must be D.O.T Certified every two years. You may make an appointment at College Health Services at Dick’s House for re-certification, call 603-640-9401.
- Vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) +26,001 lbs., or Hazardous Materials Placard requires a Commercial Driving License (CDL) and drug and alcohol testing. For more information please contact Transportation Services.