About the Program
Employees and students who intend to operate a College-owned, leased, rented or personal vehicle on College business must become an Approved Driver and must complete the Driver Safety Program.
Dartmouth's Driver Safety Program
Students and employees are subject to any College driver policy, which may be in force or subsequently issued. Driving privileges for operating College vehicles (owned, leased, rented or personally owned being used for College related business) may be revoked because of accident or violation experience, falsification of records, or any repeated failure to comply with these regulations.
Please note that frequent use of personal vehicles for business is discouraged since no reimbursement will be made for accident-related repairs, whether these costs result from your own acts or acts of others. Owners of vehicles that are used for business use are personally obligated to carry auto liability insurance.
Approved Driver $30
All-inclusive Approved Driver certification program, which includes:
- Initial motor vehicle record check
- Access to Approved Driver training modules in Dartmouth Canvas (including Vans, Mini-buses and Trailer Towing)
Recurring Motor Vehicle Record Checks $25
- Transportation Services is required to check motor vehicle records of approved student drivers (every 2 years) and approved employee drivers who hold CDL and DOT licenses (every year).
- Before re-checking records, the original sponsoring department will be notified to verify the individual is still operating a vehicle for the department and for payment method. Driver approval will lapse without verification.
- Among the employee population who drive on Dartmouth business without commercial license status, random motor vehicle record checks will occur annually to gauge compliance with moving violation reporting requirements. These random checks will be at no charge to the department.
For constituents already an approved driver under an old program, who wish to become van, minibus and trailer approved, separate assignment of the module for these larger vehicles is possible in Canvas.
For managers who are already approved drivers, but interested in viewing training modules in order to provide on-going support of safe driving practices in their workplace, please reach out to Transportation Services and we will assign the course to you.