Skip to main content
Office of the Registrar

Dartmouth College
Office of the Registrar
6014 McNutt Hall
Hanover, NH 03755-3541

Phone: (603) 646-2246
Fax: (603) 646-2247
Email: registrar@Dartmouth.EDU

Declare, Update, or Drop a Major

DartWorks Guides

Steps for Declaring a Major or Minor:

Step 1. Create an academic plan for your proposed major or minor with the DartWorks Planner. Review the applicable major or minor worksheet or website for guidance on how to create your plan. Talk with your faculty advisor if you have any initial questions about the creation of your plan.

Step 2. Initiate a declaration request in the DartWorks Dashboard with the academic plan you created in step 1. The department or program will send you a customized email with additional instructions on next steps.

Step 3. Follow the additional email instructions. It will describe the major or minor advising process for that particular department or program.

Step 4. Meet with an academic advisor from the department or program to review your academic plan.  The advisor will either approve your plan or deny/unlock it so you can make adjustments and resubmit it.

Step 5. Track the status of your request in your DartWorks Dashboard. When the status of your request shows as “Declared” you have officially declared your major or minor with the Registrar and the process is complete. If the status of your request is “denied/unlocked” follow the instructions from your department or program to adjust your plan, or perhaps also meet with an advisor for advice on a revision.  Then resubmit your declaration request.


(Click image to enlarge)

Major Declaration Work-Flow
Major or Minor Declaration Work-Flow


Additional information about Major or Minor Declaration:

Log into DartWorks from your Undergraduate Student Main Menu on DartHub. This brings you to your personalized degree audit that shows your progress towards your degree. As you begin to plan your major or minor, review your degree audit, read the department or program entries in the ORC/Catalog, and visit department or program websites for information about major or minor requirements.

Click on the "Planner" tab to access the DartWorks Planner.  Enter courses you have taken and those you plan to take to complete your major or minor. Enter terms sequentially, left to right for the appropriate term before you move to the next row.

Meet with a Faculty Advisor:

When students declare a major or minor they meet with a faculty advisor to discuss their academic plan. Be sure to read the customized email notification from the department or program sent upon submitting your declaration request.

Modified Majors:

To declare a modified major students follow a process similar to a standard major or minor. Modified majors require a rationale as part of the declaration request, and approval by the Registrar. For more information on modified majors, see the ORC/Catalog.

Update Plan:

To update a declared major or minor, begin in the DartWorks Planner, and either create a new plan or modify a current one. To modify a locked plan, create a copy of the plan using “save as,” and make your modifications. Next, from the DartWorks Dashboard, click on the major or minor you wish to update, then on “Update Plan.” From here, you can attach your new academic plan created from the DartWorks Planner and submit the updated declaration request.

Change Major or Minor:

To request a new major or minor, which will replace a declared one, begin from the DartWorks Planner by creating an academic plan. Next, from the DartWorks Dashboard click on the declared major or minor, then on “Change Major or Minor” and submit a declaration request. When the status of the new request shows as “Declared” you have officially dropped your previous major or minor.  

Drop Major or Minor:

To drop a declared major or minor, begin from the DartWorks Dashboard and click on the plan you wish to drop and then “Drop Major or Minor.” This button is not available if you have declared only one major (you cannot drop your only major).

Return to Top


How to Declare, Update, or Drop a Major FAQs


At what point in my Dartmouth career may I declare a major?

Students may declare their initial major after the beginning of their fifth term in residence. For most students it is in winter term of their sophomore year, and the major should be declared officially by no later than the second Thursday of spring term. 


Can I declare a minor first, and then a major?

No, you need to have officially declared a major and have it recorded with the Registrar before you declare a minor.


How many majors and minors can I declare?

You may have a total of three declared plans combined. Each plan is approved by the respective department or program separately.


After I submit a major or minor declaration request, is my major or minor declared? 

No. After you submit a request, you will receive an email with further instructions from the department or program with regard to advising. The department or program will then either approve or deny/unlock your declaration. If it is denied/unlocked, you need to revise it. If they approve it, they submit it to the Registrar's Office who will post it to your record at which point the major or minor is declared. Note that per faculty legislation, there are additional steps for modified majors.


I declared a minor but do not see it on my transcript. Why is this?

Minors only appear on transcripts after you graduate.


How do I use the DartWorks Planner to design my major?

For more information on the Planner, see the DartWorks Planner Guide.


Why do I receive an error message if I list the same course in more than one plan?

Faculty legislation prohibits any course overlap among majors and/or minors (see the ORC/Catalog). Courses listed in more than one plan appear on your plan detail page with the following error message: “*OVERLAP ERROR - Your plan has courses in a plan you submitted previously.*”


Who do I ask if I have a question about my major or minor?

You ask questions specific to a major or minor directly to the department or program in charge of that course of study.


What are the differences between the Modified Major “type A” and “type B?”

The Modified Major “type A” involves courses from a primary and secondary department. The Modified Major “type B” includes courses from a primary department, along with courses from multiple other departments. For more detailed information see the Modified Major section of the ORC/Catalog.


What do I include in my modified major rationale?

Your rationale should include an explanation for how all courses meet the requirements of a unified and coherent modified major, not simply why you wish to declare it or a listing of the courses.


I want to declare a modified major. Who has to approve it?

Modified Major “type A” requires approval from both the primary and secondary departments and the Registrar. Modified Major “type B” requires approval from the primary department and the Registrar.


How does a modified major appear on my transcript?

Modified Major “type A” appears on your transcript as the primary department modified with the secondary department. For example, “Economics modified with Mathematics.” Modified Major “type B” appears on your transcript as the primary department modified, without any indication of the second part. For example, an Economics Modified Major “type B” would be “Economics modified.”


How do I get assistance or provide feedback?

For assistance with the creation of an academic plan contact your Faculty Advisor.

Email all other questions and feedback to Include DartWorks in the subject line, so that we can gather the information more readily.


Return to Top

Last Updated: 8/17/20