How to Find Research and Funding

There are many resources and opportunities available for research and other scholarly pursuits at Dartmouth. In many cases, you can reach out to a potential Primary Investigator (PI) and ask is they need a research assistant. If you'd like advise on how to contact a PI, you can talk to an HPP advisor or Peer Mentor.


HPP Opportunity Directory

The HPP Opportunity Directory is a spreadsheet containing information about various summer and off-term research opportunities. Please note that it is non-comprehensive and is continuously being updated.

Dartmouth Programs & Opportunities

Created by HPP, the Dartmouth Programs & Opportunities document lists out various departments, offices, programs, organizaions, and clubs within the Dartmouth community where students can engage in research/scholarship, service, teaching, etc.; as well as where they can find funding oppunities. Please note that it is non-comprehensive and is continuously being updated. 

Undergraduate Advising and Research (UGAR)

The UGAR website has a wealth of information about finding Dartmouth research opportunities (as well as off-campus research), many of them with funding available. UGAR has a research directory you can access with your login info.

Funding: If you are looking for research funding at Dartmouth while you are "ON," UGAR oversees scholarship and fellowship funding to work with a Dartmouth faculty member.

If you are "OFF," but want to continue working with a Dartmouth faculty member or lab (aka "Hanover FSP"), there are leave terms grants for full-time research assistant positions. You can receive up to $5,600 for the OFF term.

Additional funding sources may come from other programs and centers that provide funding for undergraduate research on and off-campus.

For NON-Dartmouth research or internships, you may be eligible for external scholarship programs and grants.

The Center for Professional Development (CPD)

Connect with the CPD and check out Handshake for off-term research or scholarly opportunities. Learn more about the CPD's funding resources HERE!

Department Faculty

Each member of Dartmouth College's faculty, and affiliated institutions like the Geisel School of Medicine, has a website that mentions their area of interest and research. You can reach out directly to inquire if they need a research assistant. In some cases, it may be a professor you already know. In other cases, it may mean you are sending inquiries out by email to people you have yet to meet. Students often take these same skills and reach out to PI's at their local universities as well.

Geisel School of Medicine and DHMC

Sometimes you can learn about clinical trials happening at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center by viewing their clinical trials website. Geisel professors, many of them physicians at DHMC, may also have positions for undergraduate students in their research labs. It is important to engage in a clinical trial or medical school research lab that you are genuinely interested in and not doing one to "check off" a research opportunity. Students often reach out to PI's at their local hospitals as well.

Dartmouth LinkedIn

Dartmouth Alumni are very valuable resources to all Dartmouth students. With the Dartmouth LinkedIn, alumni can be found working in all different parts of the world and varying fields. Many are health professionals who may be looking to take on a research assistant(s) in their field of study or specialty.

Use your friend and family network at home!