Requesting Accounts and Authorizations in Sierra
All requests for authorizations must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Millennium/Innopac software's authorizations mode is both large and complex. In order to more easily work with authorizations, each department with responsibility over a Millennium module created templates containing authorizations in broad categories by job duties. When requesting a new account or a change to a current account, you should work with milsysadmin in order to determine the template category which fits your needs.
Examples of categories are:
Access Services - Student Employee, Staff Supervisor, Patron Records/Billing Specialist, etc.
Acquisitions - New Staff, Basic, ERM, Invoicing, etc.
Cataloging - Student, Basic, Intermediate, Millennium Coordinators, etc.
Account or Authorization Requests
- Mil-SysAdmin accepts requests for account creation, account deletion, account suspension, authorization additions or removals from supervisors or milsysadmin members. Requests not originating from a supervisor, or a member of milsysadmin, will be verified before being granted.
- Due to the nature of certain authorizations, Mil-SysAdmin will notify certain departments when the following authorizations have been requested. For example:
- Cataloging will be notified when the following authorizations have been requested:
- 102 - Create Bibliographic Records
- 122 - Create Item Records
- Because some authorizations have the potential to make sweeping, untraceable, potentially damaging changes to the database, Mil-SysAdmin will seek permission for certain authorizations before they are granted. For example:
- Access Services gives permission for patron and course records when requested by personnel outside of Access Services.
- Acquisitions gives permission for order, checkin, vendor, fund, invoice, contact, resource, license, and holdings records when requested by personnel outside of Acquisitions.
- Cataloging gives permission for bibliographic, item, and authority records when requested by personnel outside of Cataloging or Acquisitions.
- NOTE: The separate function 025 - Delete Record of any Type may be granted only after permission is obtained from Cataloging, Acquisitions, and Circ and only if ALL say yes.
- Clarifying requested authorizations
- If the SysAdmin is not clear about what authorizations are being requested, the SysAdmin will discuss with requesting supervisor and/or the Millennium Coordinators.
- Asking for authorizations identical to another person is not appropriate. Asking for authorizations identical to a category on a template is. If new templates are needed, consult with Mil-SysAdmin.
- Item Update
- Any staff given edit item privileges must be trained by Cataloging before receiving the edit authorization.
- Upon receiving a request for edit authorizations, Mil-SysAdmin will ask Cataloging to set up training.
- Training will provide overview of database structure, etc. as well as basic edit instructions.
- Trainer will e-mail Mil-SysAdmin when they have made training appointments.
- Mil-SysAdmin will enable the "to be trained" functions just prior to the training.
- Review Files
- Access Services Staff
- Access Services Supervisors and Access Services Coordinators will determine which Access Services staff need review file privileges. Other Access Services staff needing review files to be run should ask the Access Services Technology Coordinator.
- All Other Staff
- Staff in all other departments will work with the Millennium Coordinators in charge of their respective modules to receive training on review file etiquette and mechanics.