Policy Name: Relocation, Moving & Storage Services, Domestic & International
Effective Date: October 2016
Office with Primary Responsibility: Procurement Services
Offices with Secondary Responsibility: Controller's Office
Our objective with this policy is to meet the needs of College-required relocation, moving, and storage services with a cost-effective process that provides flexibility for the individual being relocated.
This policy establishes guidelines for all domestic and international relocation and moving service requirements.
These guidelines apply to all Dartmouth departments.
- To facilitate the best value to the College, departments, and employees by providing a system of College-approved, prequalified firms, with established contract language, discounted rates, and established relationship for quality service and effective communication to address any issues.
- To outline the process related to Relocation and Moving Services for both fully and partially-covered relocations.
Scope: Who should know this policy?
- Any department or individual responsible for hiring new employees;
- Any department or individual responsible for procuring relocation and moving services;
- Any individual associated with a Finance Center;
- Any new employee of Dartmouth College who is eligible for relocation services.
- Reimbursement limits for relocation expenses should be preapproved during the hiring process.
- Individuals being relocated are encouraged, but not required, to select one of the approved Moving Vendors from the list below.
- The need for estimates varies with circumstances as outlined in Procedures below.
- Approved Moving Vendors will bill directly to Dartmouth as outlined in Procedures below.
- Individuals who opt not to use an Approved Moving Vendor must make their own personal payment arrangements with their vendor of choice and submit a request for reimbursement to the authorizing department.
Dartmouth personnel requiring relocation and/or moving services should communicate directly with Dartmouth's Approved Contracted Moving Vendors as follows:
* All moves will require an estimate from at least 2 of the Approved Contracted Moving Vendors.
* It is not a requirement that vendor selection be based on the lowest estimate; we recognize that other factors may be important.
- Estimates should be submitted to the authorizing Dartmouth Department Administrator* or your respective Finance Center for approval.
- Department Administrators*/Finance Centers should attach estimates (as applicable), and submit a Non-Catalog, Non-Confirming Requisition through eProcurement for processing.
- Vendor will invoice Dartmouth directly for payment.
* Employees for the Arts & Sciences division should submit estimates to their Finance Center; the Finance Center will submit the required requisition through eProcurement.
Partial Covered Relocation:
- If the cost of the move/relocation is only partially covered by Dartmouth College, the Purchase Order amount (for a preferred vendor) should be entered only for the actual portion of the relocation cost to be covered by the College. Payment requests will only be approved up to the amount of the authorized moving allowance.
- Any amount over and above the portion that is to be paid by Dartmouth is the responsibility of the individual and should be paid to the moving company directly by the individual.
Exclusions / Exceptions
Individual/New Employee Option for Using Non-Approved Vendors:
Individuals may choose to utilize a moving vendor outside of Dartmouth's Pre-Approved list; however, the individual must get their own quotes and make their own payment arrangements with the vendor, and then submit receipts to the authorizing department for approval and reimbursement. These moves should NOT be handled through a Dartmouth College Purchase Order.
For policies and procedures for reimbursement of relocation expenses please refer to the Business Expense Policy. The individual's Finance Center can assist with any questions.
Certain types of moving expenses paid or reimbursed must be treated as additional compensation to the employee, subject to both income and employment tax withholding. If the expenses paid by Dartmouth qualify as deductible moving expenses and are supported by receipts or other appropriate documentation, the payments are not required to be reported on the employee's IRS W-2 Form. Guidelines for determining taxability are based on the IRS rules – refer to IRS Publication 521 Moving Expenses found on: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p521.pdf
Contacts / Responsibilities
Approved Contracted Moving Vendors:
Sterling Corp (North American Van Lines)
800-257-0044 ext. 1186
Atlas Van Lines
(HERS Higher Ed Relocations Specialists)
Moves Coordinator – Linda Foley
Hanover Transfer & Storage
603-643-3101 / 800-639-4103