Borrowing Privileges - Faculty/RA
- A professor may designate a Dartmouth/DHMC affiliate as a research assistant (RA) to check out materials for the professor.
- Registration card must be approved and signed for by the professor.
- Faculty is responsible for all items checked out.
- Register at any Circulation Desk.
- A current, valid Dartmouth College ID or driver's license is required to establish eligibility for library services.
- There is no registration fee.
- Research Assistant must have registration card signed by professor.
- Privileges are for length of time to be determined by the professor.
- The privileges are non-transferable and may be used only by the person to whom they are issued.
- The Research Assistant Library Card establishes eligibility for the services described below and must be presented when requested by a library staff member.
- Onsite access is offered to all collections in all Dartmouth libraries, with a valid Dartmouth ID.
- Loan period is 120 days or the expiration date of the RA card, unless otherwise specified by the individual library.
- There is a 50-item limit for RA borrowers.
- Overdue materials cannot be renewed on an RA account. Overdue materials will be transferred to the faculty member's account.
- At the expiration of the RA account, all Dartmouth Library items will be transferred to the faculty member's account.
- Any registered user may recall material that is currently checked out. ALL materials, checked out by ANY patron, are subject to recall.
- You may request a recall at the Circulation Desk. We will notify the current user the following day that this item now has a new, earlier, due date. Once it has been returned, we will send you a Hold Pick-up Notice, letting you know that the item is on the hold shelf at the Circulation Desk.
- Each user is entitled to keep an item for a minimum amount of time, calculated from the original check outdate, before it is eligible for recall:
Books - 14 days
Journals - 1 day
- Exception: Items recalled by the Reserve Services Desk are due back to the Circulation Desk IMMEDIATELY. Resource sharing ( BorrowDirect and DartDoc ) items are due back within 5 days. Failure to return resource sharing recalled items promptly may result in blocked library privileges.
- If you receive a recall notice, it will name a new due date. The item must be returned to the Circulation Desk by that date, or overdue fines will be charged. Overdue fines on recalled items are $1.00 per day, per item.
- Recalled items CANNOT be renewed.
- This recall policy remains in effect throughout the year, INCLUDING INTERSESSION. To avoid overdue fines and /or blocked accounts return your books before you leave campus.
- Patrons are responsible for all materials checked out to them.
- Any materials not returned, lost, or stolen, must be replaced.
- Please help us avoid unnecessary replacement costs by returning all material.
DartDoc (Interlibrary Loan)
- Materials that Dartmouth does not own may be obtained from other institutions through DartDoc.
- This service is free for faculty/RAs.
- Borrow Direct is available to faculty/RAs.
- Borrow Direct allows faculty, students and staff at Dartmouth College to directly request books from the combined library catalogs of Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, Yale, and the Center for Research Libraries.
- Reference service is available in all libraries at no charge.
- Services such as tours, orientation, and workshops may be available. Consult with the appropriate library to determine availability.