Glossary of Selected Collection Services Terms
Cataloging & Metadata Services Terms for Statistics
- Cataloging for which no copy is available. Cataloging is created with or without the use of related copy.
- Cataloging for which copy is available that requires review or modifications to meet local standards. Modifications may involve research, analysis, or interpretation and follow locally defined guidelines.
- Previously cataloged items requiring a substantial upgrading or ehancement of the bibliographic record, or previously cataloged items requiring a new cataloging treatment (ex: monographs recataloged as serals).
- Previously cataloged items requiring a new classification number.
- Previously cataloged items requiring a new location code.
- New items for which Cataloging and Metadata Services assings the LC classification number and passes on to another department for cataloging.
- Holdings Added
- Previously cataloged items requiring the addition of a new item record (added copies and/or volumes), or modifications to holdings statements in existing item records. Count each bibliographic record involved as one "Holdings Added", not each item record.
- Title Change (Serials only)
- Current serial titles which have changed titles and which require the creation of an additional bibliographic record.
- Close Out (Serials only)
- Serial titles which have ceased.
- An item has been lost and is being replaced with an exact duplicte. The catalog records, still extant, are not touched.
- An item has been lost and is being replaced with a different edition. New catalog records are created.