Book Arts Workshop
We offer the unique opportunity to work with historical equipment through traditional and contemporary methods. Not only can you explore the arts and history of bookbinding, printing and typography, but also express your ideas and research in tangible form.
What can you do?
- Register for one of our classes or attend an event.
- After taking Letterpress Orientation, you can stop by during Open Studio times listed to the right.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or ideas on possible projects or collaborations.
What will you learn?
- Letterpress printing with metal/wood type, as well as polymer relief plates
- Bookbinding, origami and papermaking
- Imagemaking and printing methods both digital and analog
- Creating posters, cards, coasters and more
- Making hand-bound journals, hand-made books of writing or artwork, pop-up books, boxes and almost anything involving paper
- Printing images from low relief objects such as a wood or linoleum blocks, leaves, feathers, plastic plates, electronics boards and more. (We’re willing to experiment!)
- Prototyping products using paper and cardboard
Who can join us?
We welcome all levels of printing and bookbinding experience, including:
- Students looking for help creating projects for classes
- Students looking to create tangible products outside of their classes
- Faculty looking to collaborate on a hands-on experience or project with their students
- Non-students (faculty, staff and community)—with the understanding that Dartmouth students receive priority
Open Studio Hours:
Open Studio hours for the week of February 19, 2018 are:
- February 17th - 12:00pm-4:00pm
- February 19th - 3:00pm-6:00pm
- February 20th - 3:00pm-9:00pm
- February 21st - 3:00pm-9:00pm
- February 22nd - 3:00pm-6:00pm & 6:30pm-9:00pm (letterpress)
- February 24th - 12:00pm-4:00pm
Note: In order to offer curricular support, the Open Studio times are subject to change on short notice. Please check back here weekly to see what the times are or email ahead to check on open times.