Skip to main content

Information for:


[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Federal Work-Study, Employment and Non Work-Study Information

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP) is a federally funded program that was established by Congress through the Higher Education Act of 1965 to aid students in need of financial assistance in earning money to meet educational costs. If the student qualifies for federal aid (determined by the government), the amount of federal aid awarded is included in the financial aid package. Earnings are not applied directly to the tuition bill, but are used by the student to cover costs such as books, personal items, and transportation. FWSP funds may only earned in Dartmouth College paid student positions or in approved off-campus non-profit community service employers

A student is only eligible for Leave Term Work-Study if they will be enrolled the term following the leave request. For example, a student who's d-plan is "enrolled" fall, spring and summer terms would be eligible to apply for Leave-Term FWS Funding in the winter term because she or he is scheduled to return to classes in the spring term.

Students interested in working for an on-campus employer or a participating local non-profit agency during a leave term should send an email from their Dartmouth email account to Financial Aid to request a Leave Term Work-Study award.

Employment is an alternative form of funding for students who do not qualify for work-study funds, usually for citizenship reasons. Regulation of the Employment program mirrors the FWSP in that a student must show a financial need to be eligible for such funding. Employment funds can only be paid by Dartmouth College and can be earned through an on campus employer or approved off campus employer

To determine if you are FWSP or EMPLOYMENT eligible, please see your financial aid award letter or consult with the Financial Aid Office. Your award letter will indicate maximum federal work-study earnings for the academic year. Students who feel that they may work beyond their allotted eligibility should consult with the Financial Aid Office to determine if they are eligible for additional FWSP funding. The earnings limit is only applicable to Federal Work Study allocations in aid package, which means that there is a limit to the amount you can earn in a 'federal work-study only' positions. Students welcome to work as many hours as they are legally able in other positions.

Non Work-Study: All students are encouraged to work as a part of connecting to Dartmouth regardless of their work-study eligibility. A student DOES NOT have to be awarded FWSP or EMPLOYMENT funding in order to work. It is important to select the 'Open to Work-Study and Non Work-Study (all students)' box when searching for student job listings on Jobnet if you are not eligible for Federal Work-Study funds, as there are a small portion of jobs limited to only FWSP eligible students.

Last Updated: 1/9/15