Skip to main content

Information for:


[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Home >

Student Employment Forms

Please select which form you are seeking to complete:

Jobnet Job Description Form 

This two-page form (pdf, 567KB) should be utilized for all new student positions which will be paid by Dartmouth College. After completing this form you can save a copy for your records and email it directly to our office as an attachment using the button at the bottom of the second page. Please review our "Employers" section for instructions on how to complete this form if you have any questions.

back to top

"Temp Jobs" Form

This form (MS Word, 53KB) should be utilized by any individual wishing to hire a student and pay them directly.  The completed form should be returned via email to for posting out to students via our "Temp Jobs" Listserv.  Please note, the Student Employment Office acts only as a referral service and makes no particular recommendations regarding potential employers or employees.  Neither Dartmouth College nor the Student Employment Office makes any representation or guarantee whatsoever about any position listed through the SEO-TEMPJOBS list, nor does Dartmouth College or the Student Employment Office assume any responsibility for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment.

 back to top 

Required Paperwork for New Student Employees

This document (pdf, 830KB) is a great handout to use when hiring student employees. It lists what forms need to be completed by the employee and can be easily printed or emailed to newly-hired students!

back to top

I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification)

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all employers to verify the employment authorization and identity of each person hired, including U.S. citizens. To satisfy the record-keeping requirements of the law, all students employed on campus must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9). Students may complete this form only once they have obtained a job, and the form must be completed within 3 days of the start date of the job.  To complete this form, the student must provide original documents from the "List of Acceptable Documents" found on Page 5 of the linked form.  Photocopies of documents cannot be accepted.  Students may complete this form with a departmental representative if they are certified to complete the Federal Form I-9 OR may go to the Payroll Office at 7 Lebanon Street, Suite 309 (between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.) or the Human Resources Office at 7 Lebanon Street, Suite 203 (between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.).  Students who have previously been employed on campus should have these forms on file, but a student may check with the Payroll Office if there is a question.

back to top

W-4 Form (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate)

Each student employed by the College must have a current W-4 form on file with the Payroll Office. The student employee should submit completed forms to the Payroll Office or the Human Resources Office at 7 Lebanon Street. If a student does not have this information on file, the Payroll Office will use the default of single marital status with zero allowances to process the payroll.

Direct Deposit

This is a voluntary option which allows students to have their paychecks deposited directly into a bank account.  Students need only print the form, complete the top section & the Direct Deposit section and sign and date the bottom. The form may be returned to the Payroll Office (Suite 309) or the Human Resources Office (Suite 203) at 7 Lebanon Street.

back to top

Parental Permission Form and Employers' Request for Child Labor Form

Per New Hampshire law, children between the ages of 16 and 18 must have written permission from a parent or legal guardian for his or her child to work. Youth work certificates are required for employees between the ages of 14 and 16. Any department hiring a student age 17 or younger must ensure the student employee provides a Parental Permission Form (pdf doc to be completed if student is 16 or 17 years old) or a Youth Certificate (age 14 or 15) - obtained through completion of the Employers' Request for Child Labor Form (pdf doc). Both youth work certificates and parental permission notes must be sent to the Payroll Office before employment actually begins.

back to top

Leave Term Work-Study Request 

A student is only eligible for Leave Term Work-Study if they will be enrolled the term following the leave request.  For example, a student who's d-plan is "enrolled" fall, spring and summer terms would be eligible to apply for Leave-Term FWS Funding in the winter term because she or he is scheduled to return to classes in the spring term.

Students interested in working for an on-campus employer or a participating local non-profit agency during a leave term should send an email from their Dartmouth email account to Financial Aid to request a Leave Term Work-Study award.

back to top

Recommended Student Hourly Rate Structure & Guidelines

SEO developed a "Recommended Student Hourly Rate Structure & Guidelines for Student Wage" document  (PDF, 325 KB) as a tool for employers striving to set a fair and equitable student wage. It also offers suggestions for differential rates, longevity and merit increases. More information is available in the Employer Info section of our website.

back to top

Last Updated: 8/12/14