Weight Watchers Webinar
February 23 at 2:00 PM - Transformation story featuring real tips for facing challenges of weight loss and maintenance. This is a complimentary offering and you do not need to be a current WW member - register here.
Workshop: Foam Rollers and Stretching
Fascia is the system in our bodies that connects everything to everything else. And it needs regular care. Foam rollers and stretching are two simple techniques that will help our fascia function better, so that we move more fully and freely through our worlds.
Saturday, Feb 25: 9 - 10:30 AM, Alumni Gym - $10. To register contact Carolyn Hooper Goetinck
Weight Watchers Inspire Event
Dartmouth's Weight Watchers at Work will be hosting an Inspire Event Feb. 16 and Feb 23. All new members who attend and join the WW@Work program will be eligible to receive a FREE starter kit ($70 value) to help get started and stay on track throughout the year. WW@W meets every Thursday from 12 - 1 PM in Collis 101. Contact Barbara Belloir for more information.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram to connect to events, programs, resources and more!
Community Events: Related to General Health
4th Annual Wellness Event for Faculty & Staff - 10/6/15
Thank you to the over 600 employees who attended this year's 4th Annual Wellness Event on Tuesday, October 6th from 10 AM - 2 PM at Alumni Hall (Hopkins Center).
We hope you were able to relax and recharge as you participated in the activities, visited with campus partners, sampled healthful snacks, received a free yoga mat and entered to win prizes such as an Alumni Gym membership, a FLIP class, a Dartmouth Skiway Freedom Pass, a gift certificate to a local yoga studio or spa, a light box to boost your mood, or a chair massage event for your office!
Events also took place at DHMC and Centerra - scroll to the bottom of this page for details.
Free Activities Offered
- Biometric Health Screenings
- Includes blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, Body Mass Index, and waist circumference
- Chair Massage
- Includes a 10-minute seated massage
- Flu Shots offered by Dick's House
- Mini Wellness Workshops
- 10 AM - 10:20 AM -- Move It, Bend It! Stretching for Computer Users, Denise Finch, OTD, OTR/L, CHT
- Staying in one position, even with good posture is not recommended. Whether you stand or sit at your workstation, stretching provides a means of increasing circulation and improving body alignment. In this session we will review a series of stretches you can do in your work area that will help you feel energized and balanced.
- 10:30 AM - 10:50 AM -- PiYo Strength, Maddie May
- If you love core conditioning and strength training, PiYo® Strength is your answer. This unique format shares the core-strengthening foundations of yoga and pilates, and builds it into a rhythmic, dynamic and intense workout designed to build strength and gain flexibility. While focusing on energy, power and rhythm, this format calls for yoga rebels! Beginners welcome. Please wear comfortable clothing with bare feet (comfortable work attire is acceptable however some sweating may occur so workout attire may be preferred). Yoga mats will be provided, or please bring your own.
- 11 AM - 11:20 AM -- Getting Things Done: Be and Feel More in Control, John Steidl
- Sharing key lessons from the full-length Getting Things Done workshop, we'll briefly discuss three specific strategies for staying more in control of your day, both at work and at home.
- 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM -- Fundamental Yoga, Maddie May
- This class will help beginners learn the basics of yoga and healthy alignments but will also help the more experienced practitioner to fine-tune and adjust their yoga experience. The focus of this class to to break down postures to learn principle of alignment and transitions for safety and a deeper awareness on your mat. The class is taught as flow style yoga with great attention to the breath. All abilities welcome. Please wear comfortable clothing with bare feet (comfortable work attire is appropriate). Yoga mats will be provided, or please bring your own.
- 12 PM - 12:20 PM -- Functional Training, Carolyn Hooper Goetinck
- It's all good and well to stand on one leg, but our everyday world is dynamic and demands movement. We change positions, change directions, and change postures, all while moving forward, backward, sideways, and turning. From the challenges of daily living to sports performance training for athletes, it is important to train dynamic, functional, movement-based balance as part of an overall strategy for becoming strong, moving well, and staying safe. This workshop will give you an opportunity to learn more about training dynamic balance, and how to train balance in a way that is right for you! Appropriate for all abilities and age levels. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
- 12:30 PM - 12:50 PM -- Unlock the Potential of Great Sleep, Chris Spelman, Health Coach at Dartmouth Health Connect
- In our busy modern lives, people sleep less than ever, yet our biological needs remain unchanged. Sleep is essential for cognitive performance, memory, immune functioning, hormone regulation, weight management, and physical restoration. Join health coach Chris Spelman for a lively discussion about the many ways you can improve the duration and quality of your sleep.
- 1 PM - 1:20 PM -- Stretching & Foam Roller Technique, Jon Dame
- Learn the importance of pre and post-workout stretching for mobility and performance. Go beyond your traditional stretches and experience some self massage techniques with a foam roller. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate). Mats and foam rollers will be provided. Session is full.
- 1:30 PM - 1:50 PM -- Introduction to Tai Chi, Claudia Henrion
- Tai Chi is a relaxing form of exercise that builds strength, awareness, and balance. It is helpful for reducing stress and strengthening the immune system, as well as regulating both mind and body. Open to people of all ages and abilities. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
Wellness Events - DHMC & Centerra
For those that work at these locations, we hope you enjoyed the free biometric health screenings and chair massage, free yoga mats, and prize drawings!
- Wednesday, 10/7 from 10 AM - 2 PM - DHMC, Level 5, East Mall
- Thursday, 10/8 from 10 AM - 2 PM - 41 Centerra, Room 334
To facilitate employee participation at these upcoming Wellness Events, we asked that managers be as flexible as is operationally feasible with employees' schedules to allow employees to attend for 60 minutes.
For the Wellness Event, hourly paid staff attending during your regular workday should consider the 60 minutes of time attending to be hours worked and record it as such on your time sheets. You are not expected to use personal or vacation time nor to make up the time elsewhere. If you are not regularly scheduled to work during this time, you are still welcome to attend on your own time, but the hours should not be recorded as worked. For 2nd and 3rd shift employees, or others who may not be able to make it to the event, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to see how we may be able to bring the Wellness Team to your department.