Stay Connected with Wellness at Dartmouth - like us on Facebook!
Wellness at Dartmouth recently launched a Facebook page to help connect our community to events, programs, resources, healthy tips, recipes, and more! Please note, even if you don't have a Facebook page, you can still view our page and see our postings.
Resources at Dartmouth
Metrics and Tools
Community Events: Related to General Health
2nd Annual Employee Wellness Event - 10/8/13
Over 600 employees attended the 2nd Annual Employee Wellness Event on 10/8 and were able to visit with campus partners, participate in wellness demonstrations, receive health screenings, sample healthful snacks, and be entered into some great prizes! All of the winners have been notified. Please see below for a list of the winners. Recipes for the popular healthy snacks are below.
- Fitbit Zips
- Kathy Decato
- Jean Del Porte
- Jane Piotrowski
- Rhonda Summarsell
- Nanette Thelemaque
- Gym Bag with a yoga mat, pedometer, exercise band, waterbottle, and more!
- Dartmouth Cross Country Ski Center Ski Lesson (including ski rental and trail pass)
- Season Pass to the Dartmouth Skiway
- 10 FREE Registrations for the CHaD HERO event on 10/20
- Paul Carranza
- Joe Cheevers
- Goodie Corriveau
- Dipa Dey
- Olivia Jaras
- Katie Madden
- David McGaw
- Dinesh Paudel
- Michael Paul
- Xiaoxin Wang
- 1- year Alumni Gym/ Zimmerman Fitness Center Membership
- Free FLIP Class
- Brochu Bars - From the Recipe Book of Pamela Brochu, Hanover Inn Baker
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- 2 Cups Golden Raisins
- 2 Cups Oats
- 2 Cups Rice Cereal
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Organic Honey
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Melt Peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey together. Mix with dry ingredients.
- Spread onto sheet pan, let harden for a couple of hours.
- Cut to size and enjoy!
- Yields 16 Bars
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie - From the Recipe Book of Executive Chef Justin Dain, Hanover Inn
- 12 Strawberries, Sliced
- 1 Banana, Cut and Peeled
- 1 Cup of Greek Plain or Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup - or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- Blend together in a blender and serve chilled.
- Gazpacho - From the Recipe Book of Executive Chef Justin Dain, Hanover Inn
- 46 oz V8 Juice
- 48 oz Canned Roma Tomatoes
- 2 Bunches Cilantro
- 2 Rough Chopped Cucumbers
- 2 Rough Chopped Red Onions
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Red Peppers, Cored
- 2 Yellow Peppers, Cored
- 2 Tablespoons Tabasco
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning as needed, or to taste.
Activities offered at the fair:
- Free biometric health screenings
- Includes blood pressure, BMI and waist circumference screenings provided by Dartmouth Hitchcock's Live Well Work Well team.
- Free flu shots offered by Dick's House
- Free Wellness Demonstrations
- 10am - 10:20am -- Yoga for Everyday, Kathy Simons
- Learn basic yoga exercises for relaxation and relief. No equipment necessary. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
- 10:30am - 10:50am -- Basic Strength & Conditioning using Exercise Bands, Kathy Simons
- Learn full body exercises using resistance bands with handles that you can do at home, at your office or at the gym! No equipment necessary. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
- 11am - 11:20am -- Introduction to Tai Chi, Claudia Henrion
- Learn a basic introduction to the practice of Tai Chi. No equipment necessary. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
- 12:05pm - 12:25pm -- Mindful Eating, Terry Osburne, Tucker Foundation
- Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to what is going on inside and outside of you at any given moment, and accepting that awareness without judgment. This short demonstration will introduce you to mindfulness through a fun eating exercise, during which you may learn just how rich the experience of eating can be and how mindfulness can contribute to your health and wellbeing. Food for the exercise will be provided, but feel free to bring your own snack if you want to.
- 12:35pm - 12:55pm -- Using Cognitive Behavioral Interventions to Short Circuit Stress, Jim Platt & Sharon Morisi, F/EAP
- Everything you always wanted to know about changing your attitude, but were too afraid to ask. Sharon and Jim will demonstrate simple cognitive-behavioral tools that you can use to re-evaluate challenging situations, gain new confidence, and enhance your self-esteem.
- 1:15pm - 1:35pm -- Small Tools, Big Results: Easy to Use Fitness Tools and Tweaks to Enhance Your Exercise Program, Carolyn Hooper Goetinch, CPT, Zimmerman Fitness Center
- Using small pieces of fitness equipment, you can dramatically enhance your movement and exercise program at home, in the office, or in the Fitness Center - come learn how! No equipment necessary. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
The following campus partners attended the event to remind us about their great offerings!
- Wellness at Dartmouth
- Dartmouth Health Coaching
- Faculty/Employee Assistance Program (F/EAP)
- Dartmouth College Child Resource Center
- Alumni Gym Memberships
- Tucker Foundation
- Norris Cotton Cancer Center (Smoking Cessation)
- Dartmouth Skiway
- Children's Hospital at Dartmouth (CHaD)
- Dick's House Pharmacy
- Weight Watchers at Work
- Environmental Health & Safety
Free CamelBak water bottles for all attendees!
Cool prizes included FitBit activity tracking devices, a membership to Alumni Gym/Zimmerman Fitness Center, and a Dartmouth Skiway season pass!
Healthy snacks and more!