AED Awareness Hunt
Can you find 3 AEDs on the Dartmouth College campus? Follow this link to view a list of all Automatic External Defibrillators on Dartmouth's campus, and see if you can find 3 in and/or near your workspace. Each AED contains a unique quote from Dartmouth's very own Dr. Seuss! Once you've found 3 AEDs, follow this link to record each Dr. Seuss quote for a chance to win prizes sponsored by Environmental Health and Safety. Or, simply print out the form and bring it to the Employee Wellness Event on Oct. 7th! Prizes will be drawn on October 14th.
Stay Connected with Wellness at Dartmouth - like us on Facebook!
Wellness at Dartmouth recently launched a Facebook page to help connect our community to events, programs, resources, healthy tips, recipes, and more! Please note, even if you don't have a Facebook page, you can still view our page and see our postings.
Resources at Dartmouth
Metrics and Tools
Community Events: Related to General Health
3rd Annual Employee Wellness Event - 10/7/14
Nearly 600 employees attended the 3rd Annual Employee Wellness Event on 10/7 and were able to visit with campus partners, participate in wellness demonstrations, receive health screenings, sample healthful snacks, and be entered into some great prizes! All of the winners have been notified. Please see below for a list of the winners and recipes for the popular healthy snacks.
- Fitbit Flex
- Cynthia Gilliland
- Lauren Cooper
- Alumni Gym Membership
- FLIP Class
- Season Pass to the Dartmouth Skiway
- King Arthur Flour Healthy Meals for Cold Winter Days Cooking Class (October 28)
- Anita Brown
- Ellen Henderson
- King Arthur Flour Healthy Meals for Cold Winter Days Cooking Class (November 17)
- Daryl Laware
- Laura LaMontagne
- Almond-Coconut-Blueberry Smoothie
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Frozen Blueberries
- 1 Banana
- Honey or Agave Nectar to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Start with 1 tablespoon of honey; add more as desired.
- Banana Split Bars
- 1/3 Cup Quinoa, Rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Mashed, Very Ripe Banana
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Dries Cranberries
- 1/4 Cup Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Combine the quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 9 to 13 minutes or until liquid is just barely absorbed. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a medium bowl and cool completely.
- Mix together oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the bananas, egg, honey, oil, and vanilla to the bowl of cooled quinoa and stir until completely blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the oats mixture and stir until just blended. Mix in the cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in the pan.
- Using the liner, lift the mixture from the pan and cut into 16 bars.
Activities Offered at the Event:
- Free Biometric Health Screenings
- Includes blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, Body Mass Index, and waist circumference
- Free Flu Shots offered by Dick's House
- Free Wellness Mini-workshops
- 10a - 10:20a -- An Exposure to Mindfulness Principles through Qigong, John Christopher, Ph.D.
- This mini-workshop offers a brief experiential introduction to the basic principles of mindfulness and how they can improve your health, help you regulate your emotions, and reduce your stress. In this workshop participants will be guided in learning a brief qigong practice (similar to tai chi and compared to a more flowing and gentle style of yoga). No experience is necessary and skeptics are welcome! Comfortable work attire is appropriate.
- 10:30a - 10:50a -- PiYo® Strength, Maddie May
- If you love core conditioning and strength training, PiYo® Strength is your answer. This unique format shares the core-strengthening foundations of yoga and pilates, and builds it into a rhythmic, dynamic and intense workout designed to build strength and gain flexibility. While focusing on energy, power and rhythm, this format calls for yoga rebels! Beginners welcome. Please wear comfortable clothing with bare feet (comfortable work attire is acceptable however some sweating may occur so workout attire may be preferred). Yoga mats will be provided, or please bring your own.
- 11a - 11:20a -- Introduction to Tai Chi, Claudia Henrion
- Tai Chi is a relaxing form of exercise that builds strength, awareness, and balance. It is helpful for reducing stress and strengthening the immune system, as well as regulating both mind and body. Open to people of all ages and abilities. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
- 11:30a - 11:50a -- NIA Dance, Patricia Higgins
- Looking for spirited movement for body and soul to start your day? Looking for weight-bearing exercise with no- or low-impact? Then join me as we dance to soul-stirring music while increasing strength, flexibility, balance and comfort in the body. NIA is a sensory-based movement practice incorporating the body, mind, emotions, and spirit, and draws from the martial arts, dance arts and healing arts. NIA is enjoyed by people of all ages, shapes and sizes. Please wear comfortable clothes you can move in and be barefoot (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
- 12p - 12:20p -- Healthy Back, Abs & Core Conditioning, Kathy Simons
- This mini-workshop will demonstrate exercises to help strengthen our back and abs as well as a few basic stretches for the back. Yoga mats will be provided, or please bring your own. Feel free to bring an old neck tie or yoga strap to assist with the stretching. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate).
- 12:30p - 12:50p -- Move It, Bend It! Stretching for Computer Users, Denise Finch, OTD, OTR/L, CHT
- Staying in one position, even with good posture is not recommended. Whether you stand or sit at your workstation, stretching provides a means of increasing circulation and improving body alignment. In this session we will review a series of stretches you can do in your work area that will help you feel energized and balanced.
- 1p - 1:20p -- Gentle Yoga, Nancy Duhaime
- Dartmouth Health Coach Nancy Duhaime, a Registered Yoga Teacher will facilitate a short series of poses and introduce some basic principles of alignment to promote a safe and comfortable practice. This mini class will be slow, in order to focus on stretching of the body while releasing stress and tension from joints and muscles. The class format will consist of standing and some kneeling poses and will close with a short relaxation and meditative moment. Please wear comfortable clothing (comfortable work attire is appropriate). Yoga mats will be provided, or please bring your own.
- 1:30p - 1:50p -- Wellness Check-in & Self-Assessment, Gabrielle Lucke
- Wellness is an active and dynamic process starting from a place of self-reflection that moves us closer to a higher level of self-appreciation as we work toward well-being. Discover what wellness means to you through self-assessment and determine what steps you should take as you continue on your path to well-being.
- 2p - 2:20p -- Moving Well for Backcare, Dave Peckinpaugh
- If you've suffered from chronic low back pain you know how it can negatively impact your work and your life. Join Dartmouth Health Coach Dave Peckinpaugh to understand how to move more effectively, practice safe movements, and learn exercises to help safeguard your lower back.
The following campus partners attended the event to remind us about their great offerings!
- Wellness at Dartmouth
- Child Care Resources
- Alumni Gym Memberships
- Mindfulness at Dartmouth
- Dartmouth Skiway
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Weight Watchers
- Dick's House Pharmacy
- Healthy Transport
- Dartmouth Health Coaching
- Dartmouth Health Connect
Free reusable lunch bags for all attendees!