Skiway Early-Season Pass Sale
Dartmouth Skiway Early-Season Pass Sale is underway! Prices change on September 30. All passes should be ordered online at www.dartmouthskiway.com. Click here for more information.
Stay Connected with Wellness at Dartmouth - like us on Facebook!
Wellness at Dartmouth recently launched a Facebook page to help connect our community to events, programs, resources, healthy tips, recipes, and more! Please note, even if you don't have a Facebook page, you can still view our page and see our postings.
Wellness Resources for Faculty and Staff
SAVE THE DATE - the 3rd Annual Employee Wellness Event is October 7th!
Join your colleagues for the 3rd annual health and wellness event on Tuesday, October 7th from 10am - 2pm in Alumni Hall (Hopkins Center).
DISCOVER. PLAN. ENGAGE.
DISCOVER the resources available to support your health and well-being.
PLAN your path to well-being by determining which resources to access.
ENGAGE in the activities that best support you and your families goals in 2015.
- Health screenings including blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, Body Mass Index, and Waist Circumference
- Flu shots
- Wellness mini-workshops & demonstrations
- Campus Resources
- Health Snacks, and more!
More details, including registration links, will be available soon! Check back often!
Be a CHaD HERO - Register today!
- Join Team "Wellness at Dartmouth" for the CHaD HERO Event on 10/26! This will be the second year our team of faculty and staff (and their families!) is on a mission to help all kids served by CHaD live healthy, active lives.
- Be a HERO and register for the half-marathon, 5k run, 5k walk, 10k wooded hike, Cam's Fun Run or volunteer and help raise funds for CHaD!
- Register here today.
- Click on Join Our Team, select your event and fundraising amount
- Choose Join a Team and select "Wellness at Dartmouth" and then follow the registration instructions
- Stay tuned for team communications and events
- To learn more about the CHaD HERO and frequently asked questions, including fundraising requirements, click here.
Health and Wellness in September
September is National Cholesterol Education Month. Below you will find links to articles that provide you with information to help you reach or maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
National Cholesterol Education Month
- What is Cholesterol? - Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance that your body needs, but too much cholesterol in your blood can build up on the walls of your arteries and form blockages. This can lead to heart disease, heart attack, and stroke. Detecting high cholesterol levels and seeking early treatment can prevent these diseases. Visit here to learn more about cholesterol and the importance of getting screened.
- What Do Your Numbers Mean? - Total blood cholesterol is a measure of the cholesterol components LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) and HDL (the "good" cholesterol), as well as VLDL, a measure of the triglyceride-carrying component of lipids. LDL can build up on the walls of your arteries and increase your chances of getting heart disease. HDL protects against heart disease by taking the "bad" cholesterol out of your blood and keeping it from building up in your arteries. Triglycerides are the chemical form in which most fats exist in foods and the body. Visit here to learn more about what your cholesterol numbers mean.
- Lifestyle Changes to Reduce Cholesterol - Cholesterol can be reduced by making lifestyle changes such as exercising, losing weight, and stopping smoking. Additionally, cholesterol can be reduced by changing your diet. A few simple changes to your diet, such as eating oatmeal and other high-fiber foods, fish, and nuts, along with exercise can help lower your cholesterol numbers. Click here to learn about lifestyle changes to lower cholesterol and here to learn about foods to help lower your cholesterol.
Your Path to Well-being Starts Here...
Wellness at Dartmouth is committed to helping employees discover their own path to well-being. Our website is one aspect of a comprehensive approach designed to connect employees with the support they need along their journey. We hope you enjoy your visit and encourage you to check back often for updates. The welcome mat is always out!
Statement of Purpose
The Dartmouth Wellness Website has been designed as an index of resources. The website lists organizations, institutions, and groups providing resources connected to health and fitness, but such listing is not intended as an endorsement, recommendation by Dartmouth or any of its departments, or even as a complete description of the organizations, institutions, and groups listed. Omissions from the list are unintentional. Feedback about listings and the website is welcomed.
Disclaimer of Endorsement:
The information posted on the Dartmouth Wellness Website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. The Dartmouth Wellness Website does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked website. Read more...