New Hampshire

New Hampshire Civil Matters

New Hampshire Legal Assistance Center
1800-639-5290, 603-224-3333 or

  • New Hampshire Legal Assistance (NHLA) provides free legal advice and representation to low-income people in civil matters involving basic needs, including food, shelter, income and medical care.


New Hampshire Bar Association
There are few legal assistance programs sponsored by the New Hampshire Bar Association:

  • New Hampshire Lawyer Referral Service. Connects members of the public with attorneys who practice in the specific area of law needed and who charge customary legal fees. Referrals may also be requested online at, 603-229-0002 or Email.

  • New Hampshire Modest Means Legal Program. This program connects lower/middle income individuals -who are over income to qualify for free service- with lawyers providing legal services at reduced rates.  Applicants may pre-qualify online at, 603-715-3290 or Email.

  • Lawline. Volunteer lawyers provide free legal information to the public over the phone the second Wednesday of each month only, 6:00-8:00pm.  1800-868-1212

  • Pro Bono Referral Program.  Pro Bono links low-income people with volunteer attorneys for free legal services in family law, bankruptcy, consumer, criminal record annulment, housing, and income tax disputes, as well as veteran and senior citizen matters.  You must apply through the Legal Assistance center.

  • The DOVE Project.  The Domestic Violence Emergency (DOVE) Project is a program of the New Hampshire Bar Association's Pro Bono Referral Program that provides victims of domestic violence and stalking with emergency civil legal services.
    • Domestic Violence Hotline 1866-644-3574
    • Sexual Assault Hotline 1800-277-5570


New Hampshire Criminal Matters

New Hampshire Public Defender Program


  • The Public Defender Program exists to assist individuals with limited financial means in defending themselves against criminal charges that may result in jail time. You should inquire through the charging court by calling the clerk of the court about your eligibility to obtain a public defender in your case.