Women in Science Project
You can get a mentor who is a professional scientist or engineer in industry or government through MentorNet. Apply online at MentorNet.net at anytime during the year. Open to Dartmouth men and women undergraduates, graduates, post docs and junior faculty.
6243 Parker House, 2nd floor
(Located in a two-story white frame house)
Phone: (603) 646-3690
Fall Term 2012
- September10: Convocation at 3:15PM
- September 10 (Monday): Fall term classes begin at 7:45 a.m.
- September 14 (Friday): Deadline for sponsors to submit Round One project descriptions
- September 25 (Tuesday): Internship Information Session, students receive information on opportunities and application process and begin contacting sponsors to set up interviews
- Wednesday, September 26 through Wednesday October 17: Sponsors (and assistant sponsors) conduct interviews with prospective interns
- October 17 (Wednesday): Last day for Round One sponsor/student interviews
- October 19 (Friday): Sponsor and student deadline to submit top internship choices for Round One
- October 22 - 30: Winter term course elections
- October 23 (Tuesday) Deadline to submit projects for Round Two
- October 27-28 (Saturday and Sunday): Homecoming Weekend
- October 29 (Monday) Notification of Round One matches
- November 1 (Thursday): Round Two Project Descriptions available, Students begin contacting sponsors to set up interviews
- November 1 - 12: Sponsors and assistant sponsors conduct interviews with prospective interns
- November 12 (Monday): Last day for Round Two sponsor/student interviews
- November 13 (Tuesday): Sponsor and student deadline to submit top internship choices for Round Two - Fall term classes end
- November 16 - Wednesday November 21 - Final Examination period
- November 20 (Tuesday): Thanksgiving recess begins at 5:50 p.m.
- November 21 (Wednesday): Notification of Round Two matches.
Note: Before the end of Fall Term, each sponsor, assistant sponsor and intern triad (or pair) should meet for a pre-internship meeting to discuss time commitments, establish initial expectations and identify a firm January start date. This first meeting has proved to be very important to insuring a successful internship "launch". Group interns on a project should try to meet together with their sponsor.
Winter Term 2013
- January 7 (Monday): Winter term classes begin. WISP internships may start now.
- January 9 (Wednesday): WISP Intern Orientation Session for all interns
Late January TBA: Orientation dinner/discussion for new sponsors, assistant sponsors and anyone wishing a refresher
Early February TBA Intern check-in to share experiences and connect with other interns
- February 8 (Friday): Carnival holiday (Classes moved to x-periods
- February 13 - 21: Spring Term Course Selection
End-February: Prior to end of term final exams, sponsor-intern check-in to review and/or adjust expectations and responsibilities, give feedback, set some goals for spring term. Sponsors are encouraged to share this review with WISP office.
Early March Sponsor/intern review expectations, give feedback and set goals for spring term
- March 8 (Friday): Winter term classes end at 5:50 p.m.; start of Pre-Examination Break
- March 11 (Monday): Final examinations begin
- March 15 (Friday): Final examinations end
Spring Term 2013
- March 25 (Monday): Spring term classes begin
- Internships resume this week. Getting re-established with your intern this week will help her prioritize the internship. Set a new work schedule
- Begin to work with intern on poster content and presentation for Wetterhahn Science Symposium
- TBA Tentative date: Poster Prep Session for Symposium participants
- Note: Sponsors set interim goals for review of intern poster content and coach interns with practice presentations
- TBA: Deadline for intern submission of symposium poster titles
- May 23 (Thursday): 22nd Wetterhahn Science Poster Symposium, keynote talk and student poster session - Life Sciences Bldg.
- May 27 (Monday): Memorial Day Holiday
- May 29 (Wednesday): Spring term classes end at 5:50 pm
- May 31 (Friday): Final Examinations begin
Note: Interns may continue working in their internship until they leave campus or conclude with the symposium. Sponsor and assistant sponsor bring closure to internship experience with wrap-up and feedback to interns
- June 4 (Tuesday): Final examinations end
- June 9 (Sunday): Commencement Day