Fall 2010 issue
Volume 20, number 3
- Teaching at Dartmouth: Beyond Reputation
For the second year in a row, Dartmouth is ranked number one for “Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching” by U.S. News & World Report.
- Outlook on Dartmouth’s Financials
Endowment returns are up, FY11 budget gap is closed
- ‘Visible and Accessible’: Chair Steve Mandel ’78 on Priorities for the Board
Steve Mandel Jr. ’78 is a true son—and grandson, brother, and parent—of Dartmouth, with family ties to the College stretching back to the 1920s.
- Dartmouth Trustees Elect Annette Gordon-Reed ’81 to Board
During its November meeting last weekend, the Dartmouth Board of Trustees elected Annette Gordon-Reed ’81 as a new trustee, filling the seat vacated by Al Mulley ’70.
- In the Studio with Professor Enrico Riley ’95
When he arrived at Dartmouth from his hometown of Richmond, Va., Enrico Riley ’95 had planned to study engineering. But he soon realized that his “heart wasn’t in it.”
- Living Legend: Artist Frank Stella in Residence as Montgomery Fellow
“It’s about you working on a specific problem and having a sense of direction, knowing what it could be and where you want to go with it,” Frank Stella told students from Enrico Riley’s fall term “Painting I” class.
- Triple Threat: Samantha Gutiérrez ’11
Midway into her first year at Dartmouth, Samantha “Sam” Gutiérrez ’11 was reconsidering her initial plan to major in government.
- Dean and Vice President for Health Sciences at Ohio State to Lead Dartmouth Medical School
Dartmouth President Jim Yong Kim announced today that he has appointed Dr. Wiley “Chip” Souba, an internationally recognized academic surgeon, as Dean of Dartmouth Medical School (DMS) and Vice President for Health Affairs of Dartmouth College, effective October 1, 2010.
- A ‘Culture of Success’
September 1 was Harry Sheehy’s official start date as Dartmouth’s eighth athletic director.
- Seven Honored with 2010-11 Dartmouth Alumni Awards
The Office of Alumni Relations has announced recipients of the 2010–11 Dartmouth Alumni and Dartmouth Young Alumni Awards.
- Hands On
Dartmouth students have access to professional-level research tools and unique primary sources that facilitate the creation of new knowledge.
Focus on Faculty
< previous issue | next issue >