Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Dartmouth's Research Compliance Policy?

Dartmouth College is committed to a campus-wide compliance program that includes policies, procedures, and clear standards-of-conduct that promote adherence to applicable federal and state laws, as well as program requirements of federal, state, and private funding agencies. Dartmouth College is committed to education, training, and communications programs that proactively promote the College's research compliance program.

When the College receives a report of perceived deficiency in research compliance, the College will promptly investigate and take appropriate action to ensure compliance.


Why does Dartmouth need a Research Compliance Program?

The government requires that all institutions of higher learning receiving research funds maintain the highest ethical environment possible, and take prudent action to assure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and sponsor guidelines. Dartmouth College fully supports a proactive approach to ethical business conduct and regulatory compliance.


What are the elements of the Research Compliance Program?


  • Establishment of the Research Compliance Steering Committee
  • Establishment of the Research Compliance Network
  • Establishment of procedures for reporting concerns
  • Establishment of comprehensive education, training, and communications programs that address compliance and regulatory areas
  • Performance of systematic risk assessments associated with compliance and regulatory requirements, and developing corrective action plans for areas of concern.

Is participation in Dartmouth College's Research Compliance Program voluntary or mandatory?

In 1989, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) introduced a requirement that institutions provide a program of instruction in the responsible conduct of research. This requirement was announced in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts on December 22, 1989 (Vol. 18, No. 45), and again on August 17, 1990 (Vol. 19, No. 30).

In 1992, this was expanded to require that all fellows on NIH training grants should receive instruction in the responsible conduct of research. The requirement can be found in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts (Volume 21, Number 43).


What should I do if I have a concern, and how should I report a concern?

When you have a question about the ethical or regulatory implications of past, present or future actions you or others are involved with, you should discuss the matter at once with your immediate supervisor.

If you are not comfortable with this, or you are not satisfied with the response, you are encouraged to contact Henrike Frowein, Research Compliance Officer or Martin Wybourne, Vice Provost for Research.

  • Does my concern feel right?
  • Does my filing a report follow regulations?
  • Would my reporting a concern be in line with my values?
  • What about professional standards?

  • You believe you are being told to charge something in an incorrect way.
  • You are concerned that a certain course of action may result in a violation of the law.
  • You are concerned that someone may have engaged in deception or knowing misrepresentation in the proposing, performing, or reporting of research, including the fabrication of evidence or the falsification of data.
  • You are concerned that someone may have a conflict-of-interest situation which is not disclosed appropriately.
  • You are concerned that someone may not be dealing with proprietary information appropriately.
  • You are just not sure what to do regarding a potential compliance issue.

What is the procedure for reporting perceived research compliance deficiencies?

Please click on: Procedure for Reporting Perceived Research Compliance Deficiencies at Dartmouth College


Last Updated: 3/15/17