Digital Production Unit
The Dartmouth College Library Digital Production Unit (DPU) provides high quality digital imaging services in support of research, teaching, and scholarship at Dartmouth College. The DPU is a unit of the Preservation Services Department and works closely with the Dartmouth Digital Library Program (DLP). All of our imaging work adheres to best practices established by the cultural heritage communities in order to achieve high quality image capture and reproduction.
The DPU works closely with the DLP to plan and execute scanning and photographic projects for the library. This work involves close collaboration with other library departments and teams including Cataloging & Metadata Service, Preservation Services, Digital Library Technology Group, Rauner Special Collection Library, and the Dartmouth Digital Library Program.
DPU is located in Baker Library Room 02, off of the Reserve Corridor. To See all the completed digital collections visit the Dartmouth Digital Library Program.
To learn about how to nominate a project for digitization check the Project Nomination Information website.
Digital Production Unit Staff:
- Bill Ghezzi - Digital Production & Metadata Librarian
- Ryland Ianelli - Digital Production Technician
Primary Areas of Concentration
- Provide support for projects developed for the Dartmouth Digital Collections and the Digital Publishing Program.
- Provide consulting, and imaging services in support of Dartmouth faculty curricular and research projects.
Photographic Imaging and Flatbed Scanning
- Our high-end reprographic system and flatbed scanners are capable of producing master archival TIFF files as well as web ready JPEG or JPEG2000 images.
- Post scanning processes include cropping, straightening, and color adjustment.
- We use a number of software tools to evaluate our work. We examine image quality and completeness, file naming, color management, and more.
- Staff in the DPU is available for consulting on all aspects of project design, imaging, and deliverables.
- Epson V750 Pro
- Epson Expression 10000XL
- Kodak PS810 Photo Scanner
- Digital Transitions RG3040 Reprographic System with Rcam Camera
- Canon EOS 7D Mark II
- Nikon D40X DSLR camera
- 5 iMac Pro Workstations
- 1 HP Z220 Workstation
Network Attached Storage:
- Synology Diskstation DS1813+
- Capture One
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Bridge
- Adobe Acrobat
- ABBYFine Reader
- Oxygen Text Editor
- CyberDuck File Transfer Software