Skip to main content
Office of the Registrar

Dartmouth College
Office of the Registrar
6014 McNutt Hall
Hanover, NH 03755-3541

Phone: (603) 646-2246
Fax: (603) 646-2247
Email: registrar@Dartmouth.EDU


What is an Apostille?

An Apostille is a special seal applied by an authority to certify that a document is a true copy of an original. An Apostille can be used whenever a copy of an official document from another country is needed. Some countries which are part of the Hague Convention require Apostilles on documents to be filed in their countries for purposes, such as employment. Documents going to countries which are not part of the Hague Convention will usually require a regular certificate, also available through your Secretary of State’s Office. Additional information on countries which are part of the Hague Convention may be found here.


Do I need an Apostille on my diploma or transcript?

Discuss with your employer whether you need an Apostille or just a certificate of your documents. Each country is different, and many accept an Apostille on the transcript since that is the true document that states you have graduated. Some countries require the Apostille/certificate for the diploma. If in fact you need to have an Apostille on the diploma, the original must be presented, and a copy will be notarized. For assistance with receiving a paper copy of your official transcript, see our Transcript page.

For more information about certificates, see:



The State of New Hampshire requires $10/document via cash or check. Checks may be made out to the "Secretary of State of New Hampshire." If you are completing the Apostille process in a state other than New Hampshire, contact your Secretary of State’s Office to confirm pricing.

Your local Notary Public will also charge a fee for notarization, which varies by Notary Public.  

NOTE: the notarization must occur in the same state in which you are having the Apostille applied.



  • Schedule an appointment with your local Notary Public to complete the Apostille. Bring the documents in the Checklist below with you to your appointment.
    • Note: Dartmouth's undergraduate diploma is in Latin. If your notary public requires an English translation of your diploma or a letter confirming your degree was completed at Dartmouth, contact prior to your notarization appointment for assistance.
  • After notarization, submit documents from the Checklist below to your Secretary of State.
    • If you are completing the process in New Hampshire, mail the document to New Hampshire's Secretary of State address:
      Secretary of State
      State House, Room 204
      107 North Main Street
      Concord, NH 03301-4989



Take the following to your local Notary Public:

  • Your photo identification
  • Official Paper Transcript*
  • Diploma and copy**
  • If required by your local Notary Public: English translation of diploma and/or degree letter, provided by the Registrar's Office

Forward the following to your Secretary of State:

  • A letter indicating what country the document is going to. We recommend that you include a phone number should the Secretary of State have any questions.
    • The New Hampshire Secretary of State offers a template letter on their website.
  • Notarized copy of official paper transcript*
  • Notarized copy of diploma**
  • A check or cash in the correct amount ($10/document for NH Secretary of State)
  • A self-addressed postage-paid envelope for your Secretary of State to return the documents to you or your designated third party recipient

*Only needed if you are requesting an Apostille on your transcript. See our Transcript page for guidance for ordering an official paper transcript.

**Only needed if you are requesting an Apostille on your diploma.

Last Updated: 2/8/24