Futures 2019 Schedule
Monday, June 17th
2:00 - 6:30 PM - Participant Check-In (Occom Commons)
7:00 - 7:30 PM - Opening Session and Seminar Orientation (Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall)
- Professor Donald Pease
- Professor Elizabeth Maddock Dillon
7:30 PM-10:30 PM - Plenary: “Ontologies of Vibration” (Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall)
- Professor Jennifer Stoever (SUNY Binghamton), “You Better Listen to Aretha when She Sings 'Respect': Hip Hop, Record Collecting, and Black Feminist Listening Praxis"
- Professor Alexandra Vazquez (NYU), TBA
- Professor Emily Lordi (Vanderbilt), "The Sound and Meaning of Soul"
10:30 PM – Welcome Reception (Filene Foyer, Moore Hall)
Tuesday, June 18th
9:15 AM-12:30 PM – Plenary: "José Muñoz’s Futurity Now" (Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall)
- Professor Jack Halberstam (Columbia University), "Into the Wild with Jose Muñoz"
- Professor Ricardo Montez (New School), "Ephemera’s Reach"
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM - Seminar Rooms
7:30 - 10:30 PM – Plenary: "Contemporary Refugee Crisis" (Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall)
- Professor Sonya Posmentier (NYU), "Imagining Environmental Sanctuary"
- Professor Yogita Goyal (UCLA), "Aesthetics of Refuge: Migration and the Claims of Universalism"
- Professor Donatella Izzo (University of Naples Orientale), "Narratives from the Watery Walls"
Wednesday, June 19th
9:15 AM-12:30 PM – Plenary: "Latinx Queer Studies" (Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall)
- Professor Lawrence La Fountain Stokes (University of Michigan), "The Life and Times of Trans Activist Sylvia Rivera"
- Professor Karen Jaime (Cornell), "Brown Butch Aesthetics: Performing Latina/o/x Masculinities"
- Professor Israel Reyes (Dartmouth), "Decolonizing Queer Camp in Edwin Sánchez’s Diary of a Puerto Rican Demigod"
2:00 PM- 5:00 PM - Seminar Rooms
5:15 - 6:45 PM - Barbecue (Tuck Drive)
Thursday, June 20th
9:15 AM-12:00 PM – Plenary: "Settler Colonialism and the Question of Sovereignty" (B03, Moore Hall -- NOTE ROOM CHANGE)
- Professor Shona N. Jackson (Texas A&M), "Grammar and Sovereignty"
- Professor Elizabeth Maddock Dillon (Northeastern), "The Plantationocene and the Performative Commons"
- Professor N. Bruce Duthu (Dartmouth), "Is 'Belonging' a Political or Racial Classification? Tribal Sovereignty, Citizenship & the Right to an Indigenous Culture"
2:00 PM- 5:00 PM - Seminar Rooms
Friday, June 21st
9:15 AM-12:00 PM – Plenary: "Re-Thinking Afro-Pessimism" (Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall)
- Professor Soyica Diggs Colbert (Georgetown), "Lorraine Hansberry’s Formative Years"
- Professor Paige McGinley (Washington University, St. Louis), "On Action and Acting"
- Professor Kevin Quashie (Brown), "The Ethics of Black Aliveness/Toward the Black Ethical"
- Professor Robert Patterson (Georgetown), "Post Afro-Pessimism?: How to Live and Thrive in the Face of Death"
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM – Seminar Rooms
Saturday, June 22nd
3:00 - 6:00 PM – Plenary: "Celebrating Professor Hortense Spillers" (Hanover Inn, Grand Ballroom)
- Professor Joshua Bennett (Dartmouth), "NobodyKnewWhereIWasandNowIAmNoLongerThere: Gwendolyn Brooks, Hortense Spillers, and the future life of black poetics"
- Professor Saidiya Hartman (Columbia University), "N Folio"
- Professor Hortense Spillers (Vanderbilt), Respondent
6:30 - 11:00 PM – Banquet (Hanover Inn, Grand Ballroom)
Sunday, June 23rd
11:00AM - Participant Checkout