Senior Lecturer, Women's and Gender Studies Program
Office: Carpenter 11B
- A Queer History of the United States (Beacon Press, May 2011).
To view a trailer for the book, follow this URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJ7X2Uavyc
- "Hollywood's Queer '90s: Resistance, Reaffirmation, Regulation" in The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Film. Edited by Roy Grundman and Cindy Lucia. Blackwell, New York (Forthcoming, 2011).
- "Swords, Sandals, and Pre-Stonewall Sensibilities: Stealth Gay Sex in Kyle Onstott and Lancer Horner's Child of the Sun," in The Lost Library: Gay Fiction Rediscovered. Edited by Tom Cardamone. Haiduk Press, New York, 2010.
- "Back to the Future: Recovering Our Literary Past" in The Golden Age of Gay Fiction. Edited by Drewey Wayne Gunn. MLR Press, 2010.
- Editor, Queer Ideas and Queer Action series, Beacon Press.
- "Danny Kaye" in Entertaining America: Jews, Movies, and Broadcasting. Edited by J. Hoberman and Jeffrey Shandler. Princeton University Press, Princeton, 2003.
- Pulp Friction: Uncovering the Golden Age of Gay Male Pulps (St. Martins, 2003) (Lamda Literary Award for Best Anthology, 2003).
- The Pleasure Principle: Sex, Backlash and the Struggle for Gay Freedom (St. Martin's, 1998).
- Editor, Taking Liberties: Gay Men's Essays on Politics, Culture, & Sex. Masquerade Books, New York, 1996 (Lambda Literary Award for Best Anthology, 1997).
- Advisory Editor, Gay and Lesbian Biography. Gale Research, Detroit, MI, 1997.
- Advisory Editor, Out-Standing Lives: Profiles of Lesbians and Gay Men. Visible Ink, Detroit, MI, 1997.
- Culture Clash: The Making of Gay Sensibility (South End Press, 1984).
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Studies
- Popular Culture
- Media Studies
- Sexuality Studies
Honors and Awards
- 2008 - Distinguished Lecturer Award, Dartmouth College
- 2004 - Leadership Award, D-GALA (Dartmouth Gay and Lesbian Alumni Association)
- 1999 - Stonewall Award, Anderson Prize Foundation
- 1999 - The Martin Duberman Fellowship for scholarly research in GLBT studies, the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies, City University of New York
- 1996 - Cambridge Lavender Alliance Lifetime Achievement Award for journalism and political organizing
- 1995 - AIDS Action Committee Community Recognition Award for 20 years of journalism on gay and AIDS-related topics
- Jews in Hollywood
- How Hollywood Films Shaped Post-War GLBT Politics
- Introduction to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies
- Queer Marriage, Hate Crimes and "Will and Grace:" Contemporary Issues in LGBT Studies
- Plagues and Politics: The Impact of AIDS on U.S. Society
- Gender and Judaism
- Beatniks, Hot Rods, and the Feminine Mystique: Sex and Gender in 1950s Hollywood Films
- Judaism, Sexuality and Queerness
- From Fanny to Nanny: Jewish Women and Humor
- "I Will Survive": Women's Political Resistance Through Song
- Power to the People: Black Power, Radical Feminism and Gay Liberation
- Men to Boys: Masculinities and Film