Skip to main content
Home >

D-Plan Planning (Your Enrollment Pattern) for the Class of 2020

Greetings, members of the Class of 2020!

It is time to begin thinking about how you will arrange your remaining terms at Dartmouth, as you prepare to file your enrollment pattern or D-Plan.

The information on this page and contained in the links below is designed to help you create your D-Plan. Keep in mind that the deadline for filing your D-Plan is April 13, 2017.


Important D-Plan Planning Documents

PLEASE NOTE: Your DegreeWorks Degree Audit (in BannerStudent) will help you track progress towards completing degree requirements. 

For additional information about specific programs and major requirements, please review:

Watch for upcoming emails designed to support your D-Plan planning process, and contact your Undergraduate Dean for advising as you explore and clarify your goals.

Step-by-Step: Planning Your D-Plan (Or "How to Arrange Your Remaining Terms at Dartmouth")

Definition of a "D-Plan" = A Student’s Enrollment Pattern

Definition of a "D-Plan" = A Student’s Enrollment Pattern, to include:

  • Terms enrolled on campus
  • Term(s) enrolled off campus
  • Leave terms

Your D-Plan is an agreement with the College and confirmation of where you intend to be each term. It is important that your enrollment pattern accurately reflect your current plans at least two terms in advance.

  • If your plans change due to declaring a new major or for some other academic reason, you may reconfigure your D-Plan in the Registrar’s Office.
  • All changes are subject to housing availability, and anticipated full occupancy in fall term may prevent you from changing from a Leave Term to a Residence Term.

Top of page

Details of D-Plan Submission

  • You will be asked to submit a first, second and third choice D-Plan containing either an "R" or an "L" for each term.
  • Each D-Plan you submit should be confined to twelve enrolled terms.
  • Please be advised that students requesting D-Plans with four on-campus/enrolled fall terms may be assigned their second or third choice D-Plan.
  • Each plan must include three leave terms.

Top of page

Factors to Consider When Exploring D-Plan Options

  • Intended major and/or minor
  • Courses that are only offered in specific terms
  • Off-campus programs of interest
  • Internships or research opportunities
  • International students on F1 or J1 visas should visit the Office of Visa and Immigration Services (OVIS) website.
  • Extracurricular activities
  • Preferred spacing of vacations
  • Family resources
  • Students typically graduate in twelve terms.

Top of page

R = “In Residence”

[In residence in Hanover, taking courses, or studying for Dartmouth credit on an Off-Campus or Exchange Program].

You are required to be "in residence" summer term following sophomore year* AND all three terms of both your first year and senior year (fall, winter, spring).

  • As you think about which other Residence terms to select, you will want to consider both academic and non-academic factors.
  • Students undecided on a major may wish to be in Residence throughout the sophomore year in order to explore the curriculum broadly and consult with faculty.
  • Students who have decided on a major may need to examine major requirements with a department or program advisor and design a Residence pattern ("R" terms) built around specific courses.
  • Some decisions may be driven by extra-curricular commitments or one’s taste in climate. For example, Dartmouth’s seasons (as you are learning) are highly variable and your fondness for winter sports or summer leisure may be of some importance!

When you submit your D-Plan choices in April, if you plan to take an “O” (Off-Campus Program) term and/or an “X” (Dartmouth Exchange Program) term, enter them as “R” terms. Once your “O” and “X” programs have been approved, the Registrar will update your D-Plan with those designations.

* See the ORC for information regarding the "sophomore summer" requirement.

Top of page

O = “Off-Campus Program”

[Dartmouth Off-Campus, credit-carrying programs (LSA, LSA+, FSP)].

The “Off-term” represents one of Dartmouth’s unique opportunities; during their first year, students should think about the possibilities for their off-terms.

  • Once students have completed their first-year requirements, they may participate in a Dartmouth-sponsored Off-Campus Program in the United States or abroad and earn a term of academic credit.
  • Most application deadlines for 2017-2018 OFF-CAMPUS programs will be in February 2017.
  • If you qualify for financial aid, that aid can be applied to an Off-Campus Program.
  • Please be advised: you are limited to participating in three (3) Off-Campus Programs.
  • For more information, visit the Guarini Institute website.

Language Study Abroad (LSA) or Advanced Language Study Abroad (LSA+)

Participating in Language Study Abroad provides an opportunity to:

  • fulfill the language requirement
  • earn three credits
  • receive one or more credits toward the distributive and world culture requirements
  • all while studying in Argentina, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Morocco, Peru, Russia or Spain.

Questions about prerequisites and application may be directed to The Guarini Institute at 44 North College Street or 603.646.1202. Or e-mail them at

Great information can be found on their website at

Foreign Study Programs (FSP)

There are varied opportunities for supervised study in academic disciplines at foreign study centers.

Application is open to all undergraduates in good standing, regardless of major, who plan to complete the necessary prerequisite course(s).

Please go to The Guarini Institute website and click on the "Programs" tab at the top of the page to see a full list of available programs.

Top of page

X = “Exchange”

[Academic term on a Dartmouth Exchange Program].

Dartmouth offers special “Exchange Programs” at more than 20 institutions worldwide.

  • Please note that you may transfer a maximum of four Dartmouth equivalent credits, including any pre-matriculation transfer credits, during your Dartmouth career.
  • Please be advised: Exchange Credit requires prior approval from the Dartmouth academic department/program and the Registrar.
  • Please contact the following offices for more information:

Top of page

L = “Leave”

[Away from campus for employment, internship, transfer term, or time off]

On each of the three D-Plans you submit, you are required to take three leave terms. On one of your submitted D-Plans, ONE leave term must be in the FALL of either sophomore or junior year.

  • Please note: While Dartmouth does not give academic credit for internships, an internship during a leave term can help you gain skills and experience, and explore careers.

When you submit your D-Plan choices, you will list a "T" term (Transfer) as an "L" term, as well as those terms on "Leave," when you are away from campus for employment, internship, or time off.

Top of page

Internships and Jobs (Center for Professional Development)

The Center for Professional Development (CPD) prepares students for postgraduate success through individual advising appointments, Face Times, and workshops focused on skill/competency development and life skills. CPD offers resume and cover letter reviews, interview coaching, internship listings, networking resources, and more.

Top of page

Campus or Work Study Jobs (Student Employment)

Student Employment and Leave-Term Work-Study opportunities are also available for eligible students interested in working for an on-campus employer or at a participating local community service agency during a leave term. Search Jobnet each term to see what positions are available and how to apply. Contact Student Employment at 603.646.3641 with additional questions.

Top of page

More About Internships, as well as Student Research with Dartmouth Faculty (UGAR)

Many students opt to maximize their "leave terms" either by securing an internship off campus or by conducting research with Dartmouth faculty.

Top of page

 T = “Transfer” [Transfer Credits from Another Institution]

It is possible to enroll in courses at another accredited four-year liberal arts institution for Dartmouth credit.

  • MUST READ information can be found at
  • See your Undergraduate Dean about how your plans for Transfer Credit align with your academic goals and program. (Click here to find your Undergraduate Dean).
  • PLEASE BE ADVISED: Transfer Credit REQUIRES review and approval by a sub-committee of the Committee on Instruction, the Registrar, and the Departments/Programs accepting transfer of the courses.
  • Additional fees are assessed when applying to transfer credit back to Dartmouth after a transfer term (see for more information).

Top of page

A Sample D-Plan for the Class of 2020

(Bold and Green = Required Residence Term)

           Fall    Winter Spring Summer
2016-17 R (in Residence) R (in Residence) R (in Residence) L (Leave)
2017-18 R (in Residence) R ["O" = Off-Campus Program] R (in Residence) R (in Residence)
2018-19 L (Leave) R ["X" = Exchange] R (in Residence) L (Leave)
2019-20 R (in Residence) R (in Residence) R (in Residence)  

Top of page

Essential Resources for Planning

Top of page

Last Updated: 12/14/16