Associate Professor of Sociology
Institute for Security, Technology and Society (ISTS)
The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice
Adjunct in Community and Family Medicine
6104 Silsby - Room 124
Hanover, NH 03755
University of Connecticut, Ph.D., 1997
Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1990
Curriculum vitae (PDF format, requires free Acrobat Reader)
Courses Taught at Dartmouth
- SOCY 2: Social Problems (syllabus)
- SOCY 7: FS: Healthcare in the U.S. (syllabus)
- SOCY 27: Organizations in Society (syllabus)
- SOCY 28: Health Care and Health Care Policy (syllabus)
- SOCY 63 Trust in Society (syllabus) (formerly Socy 26)
- SOCY 68: Global Health Systems (syllabus) (formerly Socy 39)
- MALS 341 Norms and Normalization - Graduate seminar (co-taught with Amy Allen, Philosophy) (syllabus)
CNN Opinion article features "Privacy worries go far beyond e-mails."
Two researchers address security and privacy in healthcare as part of a $15 million project
Dartmouth team receives large NSF grant to study Health IT
- Appari, Ajit, M. Eric Johnson, and Denise L. Anthony. 2012. "Meaningful Use of EHR Systems and Process Quality of Care: Evidence from a Panel Data Analysis of US Acute-Care Hospitals." Health Services Research. DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2012.01448.x
- Appari, Ajit, Emily K Carian, M Eric Johnson, Denise L Anthony. 2011. "Medication administration quality and health information technology: a national study of US hospitals." Journal of American Medical Informatics Association. 19 (3): 360-367. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000289
- Anthony, Denise L., Sean W. Smith, Timothy Williamson. 2009. "Reputation and Reliability in Collective Goods: The case of the online encyclopedia Wikipedia."Rationality and Society 21(3): 283-306.
- Anthony, Denise L., M. Brooke Herndon, Patricia M. Gallagher, Amber E. Barnato, Damiel J. Gottlieb, Julie P.W. Bynum, Elliott S. Fisher, Jonathan S. Skinner. 2009. "How much do patient preferences contribute to resource utilization?"Health Affairs. 28(3): 864-71.
- Anthony, Denise, David Kotz, Tristan Henderson. 2007. "Privacy in Location Aware Computing Environments." IEEE Pervasive Computing 6(4): 64-72.
- Anthony, Denise. 2005. "Cooperation in Micro-Credit Borrowing Groups: Identity, Sanctions and Reciprocity in the Production of Collective Goods." American Sociological Review 70(3):496-515.
Faculty Research and Teaching Interests
- Collective Action Problems
- Economic Sociology
- Health Care and Health Policy
- Organizations and Institutions
- Trust and Social Control