Skip to main content


Related Websites

Scholarship Advising
Parker House, HB 6201
Room 106
Hanover, NH
Phone:  603.646.1622
Fax:  603.646.8190
Email: scholarship advising

General Information

ENDORSEMENTS. Many fellowships require endorsement from the Dartmouth College Committee on Graduate Fellowships. For the Committee to read all applications and offer advice, Dartmouth has an internal deadline prior to the fellowship specific deadline (see fellowship listings for deadlines). Key to this process is beginning early by consulting your faculty advisor and the relevant Fellowship Advisor (see "Fellowship Advisor" below), and by contacting potential references (see "Recommendation Letters" below). This is especially important if the application requires a proposal. For fellowships requiring endorsement, all materials must be submitted to:  Hard copy materials (official transcripts and other items that cannot be submitted electronically) should be sent to: Fellowship Advising, Parker House, HB6201, Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H. 03755-3529

FELLOWSHIP ADVISORS. The Dartmouth Fellowship Advisors include Dr. Holly A. Taylor (Fulbright) and Dr. Jessica Smolin (all other fellowships). The Fellowship Advisors assist students during the application process to help prepare the best application(s) possible. It is strongly advised that students meet with the relevant Fellowship Advisor before the campus deadline with questions concerning eligibility or the application.  A Fellowship Advisor can also provide suggestions on draft proposals and essays. Drafts should be brought in at least two weeks prior to the campus deadline. Click on the name of the relevant Fellowship Advisor above to book an appointment or call Fellowship Advising at 646-1622.

GRADUATE STUDY IN THE US. Beyond national grant competitions, financial aid for graduate school can come from a graduate institution you will attend. Consult the individual graduate school for financial aid details at the same time (early fall) that you research fellowship application procedures.

STUDY ABROAD. Financial aid is not usually available from foreign universities, and part-time employment while enrolled in a foreign university is seldom feasible. Students planning foreign study must therefore seek financial support independently, and the competition for such funds is very keen. For many of the large grants for study abroad (Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright and others), it is necessary to begin preparing your application your junior year. See Awards for Study Abroad for details on the application process.

RECOMMENDATION LETTERS are an important part of the fellowship and graduate school application process. You should request letters from your professors at least a month prior to any deadlines to give them time to write a carefully considered evaluation. Always provide your recommender with as much information about yourself and the grant/graduate program for which you will apply. If you intend to file applications after graduation or if faculty members plan to leave Dartmouth, you may consider using services such as Interfolio through the Center for Professional Development. However, individualized recommendation, addressed to specific programs or fellowships, are far stronger than duplicated general-purpose letters. Letters of recommendation for Dartmouth administered grants should be submitted to:

PRELIMINARY APPLICATIONS for RhodesMarshallMitchell, and Fulbright are due in June. Follow procedures outlined for each specific fellowship. The preliminary application process is very important as it leads to a more polished and complete final application. A committee provides suggestions on preliminary applications and returns them to you over the summer. You can seek writing and editing help with your essays, except for personal essays for the Rhodes and Mitchell Scholarships, through RWIT or one of the Fellowship Advising writing advisors.

FINAL APPLICATIONS. The campus deadline for final applications for many endorsed fellowships is in September. Final application should include all supplementary materials (affiliation letters, language evaluations, etc.). Once your fall term classes are finalized, you must submit an official transcript to the specific fellowship.

Last Updated: 3/27/17