Official and Unofficial Transcripts
For Current Students
Official Transcripts are available to current undergraduate A&S students using our online ordering system. Simply log in to BannerStudent and select the "Request a Transcript" link on your Undergraduate Student Main Menu, and click through to the ordering page. For more information, click here.
Alumni may request Official Undergraduate Transcripts using the online ordering system. Simply log in to the Transcript Request Page using your NetID, and click through to the ordering page. Click here for more information.
Dartmouth provides students with two versions of their Unofficial Transcript: a web version, designed primarily for online viewing, and a PDF version, designed to be sent to your Dartmouth email account. Both versions are available on the BannerStudent Menu.
- To view the online version, click Unofficial Transcript - Web version on your BannerStudent menu.
- To have a PDF version sent to your Dartmouth email account, click Unofficial Transcript - PDF version on your BannerStudent menu.
- Where is the Unofficial Transcript menu item? The unofficial transcripts are accessed by current students with a BannerStudent account, and are listed under "Unofficial Transcript - Web version" and "Unofficial Transcript - PDF version" on the Undergraduate Student Main Menu. The Web version is available immediately, and the PDF version is emailed to your Dartmouth email address shortly after the request is submitted.
- What is the advantage of having an unofficial transcript in addition to the official transcript that you can request through the Registrar’s Office? The unofficial transcript provides you with a place to view your current GPA, all the courses you have taken, as well as those for which you are currently registered just by logging into BannerStudent.
- When do you use an unofficial transcript? This is helpful for internal purposes, such as applying for an internship, to show the types of courses you have taken to apply for a research grant, or perhaps to show that you have met a minimum GPA requirement. It can be used to show proof of enrollment in a future term when an unofficial document is acceptable. It can be helpful for advising purposes.
- How can I use it when my employer or graduate school states that they require an official transcript? If you have an approaching deadline and an official transcript cannot be sent in time, you could send an unofficial transcript and then request that an official transcript be sent by the Registrar’s Office as a follow up. For example during the grading period at the end of the term, no Official transcripts can be processed and your unofficial transcript may not have your current term grades, however unofficial transcripts are available 24/7.
- When is an Official transcript required? Students request Official transcripts through the Registrar’s Office when applying to graduate school, for some employment opportunities, security clearances, internships external to Dartmouth, and volunteer work (i.e. “Teach for America”). You should request an Official transcript whenever you need to validate the courses you took as a Dartmouth student, and to make a good impression by presenting a formal document.
- What is the difference between what is on the official transcript and the unofficial transcript? Both documents are accurate representations of your academic record however the information appears differently and has different levels of security.
- The Web version of the unofficial transcript is stamped “this is not official” throughout and while it can be, it is not designed to be printed.
- The unofficial PDF transcript looks the same as the Official transcript, with the word "UNOFFICIAL" printed across the document, and the language "This document is an *unofficial* transcript and should not replace the *official* signed and sealed transcript" at the top and bottom of each page. It is not a secure PDF.
- The Official transcript paper version is printed on security paper with the Dartmouth seal and the Registrar’s signature; it is stamped “Official,” citations earned are included, and it can be delivered on your behalf by the Registrar's Office to the 3rd party(ies) you have indicated.
- The Official eTranscript is delivered as a secured PDF document that certifies the authenticity of the document, citations earned are included, and can be delivered on your behalf by the Registrar's Office to the 3rd party(ies) you have indicated.
- How about PE credit? You may view your PE credit by selecting two different views of the unofficial transcript Web version; with PE credit listed or t an unofficial PE transcript showing only the PE credit. Please note that the swim test requirement is not reflected on the unofficial transcript. The PDF version of the unofficial transcript mirrors the Official transcript and therefore it does not reflect PE credit or the swim test.