- On the benefits of a philosophy major (HTML article)
- Sally Haslanger, this year's Gramlich lecturer, was interviewed for the MIT School of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences' Great Ideas Change the World column, on "What is 'natural' and what is 'social'?"
- Professor Susan Brison's recent article in Aljazeera, "Waging a battle against sexual and domestic violence"
- Philosophy in the Chronicle of Higher Education. Sally Haslanger, a professor of philosophy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, will be this year's Gramlich lecturer, May 1, 2013.
- See the article in the D by Philosophy major, Becca Rothfeld, "Rothfeld: Mischaracterizing Feminism"
- See the APA's Committee on the Status of Women highlight of Professor Susan Brison.
- Philosophy major and valedictorian, Ben Gifford '10, in the news with his new company, Double or Muffin.
- Professor Amy Allen has just published an op-ed article, 'Mommy Wars' Redux: A False Conflict," in the New York Times opinion blog, The Stone
- Congratulations to Philosophy major Sarah Leonard ('13), who won the Class of 1948 Scholar-Athlete Award for 2012!
- For more about why "Silicon Valley Needs Humanities Students" (see "From Technologist to Philosopher," below), read this article from the Washington Post
- Professor Susan Brison was named the chair of the Department this March (2012)
- From Technologist to Philosopher: Why you should quit your technology job and get a Ph.D. in the humanities (The Chronicle of Higher Education article)
- Read The Dartmouth's coverage of our Sapientia Lecture Series!
- In memoriam, Bernard Gert, Stone Professor of Intellectual and Moral Philosophy at Dartmouth College and Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry at Dartmouth Medical School. Professor Gert passed away on December 24, 2011.
- Study of philosophy makes gains despite economy. See this article in Philly.com
- Is Philosophy the Most Practical Major? See this article in the Atlantic.
- Professor Susan Brison has been selected to give the 53rd Annual Bishop John Fletcher Hurst Philosophy Lecture at the American University.
- The Philosophy Department welcomes Professor Ken Walden!
- MORE congratulations to Professor Adina Roskies on being awarded the 2011 Stanton Prize by the Society of Philosophy and Psychology, and has also been awarded a New Directions Fellowship by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Congratulations to Professor Adina Roskies on being awarded the Laurance S. Rockefeller Visiting Fellowship at the Princeton Center for Human Values for 2011-12. She has also been invited to present to the Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues.
- Philosophy major, Jane Tucker '09, won the 2009 Rintels Prize for her thesis, "The Self-concept Notion of Self-deception: A Non-deflationary Non-intentionalist Account" (advisor: Prof Amy Allen)
- The Philosophy Department welcomes Professor Timothy Rosenkoetter!
- Philosophy student Brian C.Chao '09 will publish "On Rights and Robots," in Dialogue, the journal of Phi Sigma Tau, the international honor society for philosophy.
- Philosophy students in the news, see this article on Reggie Schickle '09 and Samoneh Kadivar ’10
- Philosophy alum in the news, see The Dartmouth article on Brandon del Pozo '96
- Professor Amy Allen recently received the prestigious Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers from the Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung/Foundation.
- Professor James Moor was selected to hold the Daniel P. Stone Professor in Intellectual and Moral Philosophy.
Thinking With Things
An interdisplinary workshop
Free & Open to the Public
Contact Professor John Kulvicki or consult
for more information