- Professor John Kulvicki's new book, Images, has just been published by Routledge.
- Professor Amy Allen has been featured on the American Philosophical Association's Status of Women webpage as one of their highlighted philosophers for the month of November, 2013
- Congratulations to Professor Susan Brison, who was awarded Dartmouth's 2013 Dean of the Faculty Award for Outstanding Mentoring and Advising!
- Congratulations, Professor Adina Roskies, on being awarded Dartmouth's 2013 John M. Manley Huntington Award for Newly Promoted Faculty!
- Professor Adina Roskies: Working Across Disciplines, Dartmouth Now article (html)
- Congratulations to James "Craig" Smyser '13, Philosophy major and honor student, who has won a Fulbright Scholarship. He'll be heading to Turkey to teach English at the college level.
- On the benefits of a philosophy major
- Sally Haslanger, this year's Gramlich lecturer, was interviewed for the MIT School of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences' Great Ideas Change the World column, on "What is 'natural' and what is 'social'?"
- Professor Susan Brison's recent article in Aljazeera, "Waging a battle against sexual and domestic violence"
- Philosophy in the Chronicle of Higher Education. Sally Haslanger, a professor of philosophy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, will be this year's Gramlich lecturer, May 1, 2013.
- See the article in the D by Philosophy major, Becca Rothfeld, "Rothfeld: Mischaracterizing Feminism"
- See the APA's Committee on the Status of Women highlight of Professor Susan Brison.
- Philosophy major and valedictorian, Ben Gifford '10, in the news with his new company, Double or Muffin.
- Professor Amy Allen has just published an op-ed article, 'Mommy Wars' Redux: A False Conflict," in the New York Times opinion blog, The Stone
- Congratulations to Philosophy major Sarah Leonard ('13), who won the Class of 1948 Scholar-Athlete Award for 2012!
- For more about why "Silicon Valley Needs Humanities Students" (see "From Technologist to Philosopher," below), read this article from the Washington Post
- Professor Susan Brison was named the chair of the Department this March (2012)
- From Technologist to Philosopher: Why you should quit your technology job and get a Ph.D. in the humanities (The Chronicle of Higher Education article)
- Study of philosophy makes gains despite economy. See this article in Philly.com
- Is Philosophy the Most Practical Major? See this article in the Atlantic.
Sapientia Lecture Series
- Visit the Philosophy Events webpage for the Fall term schedule
- Free & Open to the Public
- Funded by the Mark J. Byrne 1985 Fund in Philosophy
Philosophy Film Discussion Series: The Paradox of Horror: What is the Pleasure of Terror?
- Starts with the showing of "Mad Love" on Tuesday, October 29, 6-8pm in Brace Commons, East Wheelock Cluster
- Food, film, discussion
- Free and open to all
Workshop on Autonomy in Ethical and Political Theory
- Friday, November 15th- Saturday, November 16th, 2013