LECTURE: Vincent Brown, Charles Warren Profess or History and Professor of African-American Studies, Harvard University
Tacky's Revolt and the Coromantee Archipelago A New Cartography of Slave Revolt"
Thursday, January 30th, 4.15 PM, L01 Carson Hall
The Modified Major will be approved only if the student provides a convincing written rationale for the intellectual coherence of the proposed program of study.
The Modified Major consists of the successful completion of twelve courses, eight of them in History, and four from one or more modifying departments/programs. If the four modifying courses are in a single department/program, your Modified Major plan and rationale must be approved by the chair of the History Department and the chair of the modifying department/program. If the four modifying courses are drawn from more than one department/program, your plan and rationale for a Modified Major needs to be approved only by the chair of the History Department. The requirements in History need to meet the following requirements:
A. Field of Concentration
1) At least three History courses must relate to a field of concentration selected in consultation with a faculty adviser. Concentrations may be geographic, chronological or thematic. (List of possible concentrations.)
2) A culminating experience in the form of an upperclass seminar (History 96) taken in the general area of the proposed geographic, chronological or thematic concentration.
B. Total of Eight History Courses
Besides the courses in A, select four additional History courses to bring your total up to eight. These do not need to address your field of concentration, but can be used to fulfill the distributive requirements for the major mentioned below.
C. Geographic Distribution
Your eight History courses from A and B must contain at least one course from each of the following areas:
1) United States and Canada (such courses are designated Major Dist: US & CAN in the "Schedule of Courses");
2) Europe (designated Major Dist: EUR in the "Schedule of Courses");
3) Africa, Asia, Latin America & Caribbean (designated Major Dist: AALAC in the "Schedule of Courses");
4) Interregional (designated Major Dist: INTER in the "Schedule of Courses").
D. Chronological Distribution
Your eight History courses from A and B must contain at least two pre-18OO courses. In the "Schedule of Courses," courses fulfilling the pre-1800 requirement are designated <1800.
Limits and Exclusions, described under the Standard Major, also apply to the Modified Major.
Last Updated: 2/10/14