James B. Murphy
Professor of Government
B.A., Yale University
M.C.P., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Ph.D., Philosophy and Political Science, Yale University
Click here to view my C.V.
- The Nature of Customary Law: Philosophical, Legal, and Historical Perspectives, edited with Amanda-Perreau-Saussine, Cambridge University Press, forthcoming March 2007.
- "Habit and Convention of the Foundation of Custom," The Nature of Customary Law: Philosophical, Legal, and Historical Perspectives, edited with Amanda-Perreau-Saussine, Cambridge University Press, forthcoming March 2007.
- "Ethical Ideals in Journalism: Civic Uplift or the Pursuit of Truth?" with Aine Donovan and Steven Ward, Journal of Mass Media Ethics, 20 2/3, forthcoming Summer 2006.
- "The Lawyer and the Layman: Two Perspectives on the Rule of Law" Review of Politics 68:101-131, Winter 2006.
- The Philosophy of Positive Law: Foundations of Jurisprudence, New Haven: Yale University Press, 2005.
- "Against Civic Schooling," in Social Philosophy and Policy, 21/1: 221-265, Winter 2004 and in Morality and Politics, Ellen Frankel Paul, et al., ed., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 221-265, 2004.
- "Introduction" (with Richard Oliver Brooks) to Aristotle and Modern Law, Richard O. Brooks and James B. Murphy, eds., in series "Philosophers and Law," Tom Campbell, ed., Dartmouth, U.K.: Ashgate Publishers, 2003.
- "Humane Work and the Challenges of Job Design," with David Pyke, in Rethinking the Purpose of Business: Interdisciplinary Essays from the Catholic Social Tradition, S.A. Cortright and Michael J. Naughton, Eds., Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 2002.
- "Equality in Exchange," in The American Journal of Jurisprudence, 47: 85-121, 2002.
- "Nature, Custom and Reason as the Explanatory and Practical Principles of Aristotelian Political Science," The Review of Politics, 64: 469-495, Summer 2002.
- "Practical Reason and Moral Psychology in Aristotle and Kant," Social Philosophy and Policy, 18: 257-299, Summer 2001 and in Moral Knowledge, Ellen Frankel Paul, et. al., ed., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- "The Quest for a Balanced Appraisal of Work in Catholic Social Thought," in Labor, Solidarity and the Common Good, S.A. Cortright, ed., Carolina Academic Press, 2000.
- Ancient and medieval political philosophy
- Philosophy of law
- Philosophy of education