Assistant Professor of Government
B.A., University of Minnesota
Ph.D., Ohio State University
Click here to view my C.V.
Click here for a short bio.
- Power Politics & State Formation in the 20th Century: The Dynamics of Recognition Forthcoming at Cambridge University Press
- "Does State Failure Cause Terrorism? An Empirical Analysis (1999-2008)"Forthcoming in Journal of Conflict Resolution
- "Global Patterns of Maritime Piracy (2000-2009): Introducing a New Dataset" Journal of Peace Research 49:4 (July 2012). 'event data' and 'annual data'
- Review of Thomas Risse-Kappen (Ed.)(2011) Governance Without a State?: Politics and Policies in Areas of Limited Statehood. New York: Columbia University Press. at H-Diplo.
- Review of Parent, Joseph M. (2011) Uniting States: Voluntary Union in World Politics. Oxford: Oxford University Press. in Perspectives on Politics (Forthcoming 2012).
- "The Economics of State Emergence & Collapse" (For Handbook on the Economics of Public International Law, Richard Posner & Francesco Parisi (Eds.)) Invited Chapter
- “Friends in High Places: International Politics and the Emergence of States from Secessionism” in International Organization 65:3 (Summer), p.433-67, (July 2011). domestic replication datainternational replication data
- “Statehood” Oxford Bibliographies Online (OBO) Oxford University Press (Invited/Peer Reviewed)
- “Prime Numbers: The Pirate Den - Inside the Modern Business of Wreaking Havoc on the High Seas” Foreign Policy Magazine (July/August 2010).
- “The History of Secession: An Overview” Chapter 2 in Peter Radan and Aleksandar Pavkovic (Eds.) The Research Companion to Secession UK: Ashgate Publishers, Ltd. (Forthcoming 2011, Peer Reviewed in Book Form)
Secession and Great Power Recognition Dataset
Non-Traditional Threat (NTT) Dataset,
Phase I: Maritime Piracy Data (MPD), 2000-2009
Phase II: Terrorism, 1999-2008
Data available by request.
- Anarchy Emergent: State Collapse and Non-Traditional Security Threats in the Shadow of Hierarchy, Book Manuscript
- “Nothing Fails Like Success: Anarchy, Piracy and State-building in Somalia” Under Review
- "Private Military Corporations in Sub-Saharan Africa (1991-2008)" with Alex Mahler-Haug. Under Review
- "Less Terror, More Violence: Unintended Consequences, Substitution & Civil Conflicts" Under Review
- "Petitioning Power: Rebel Diplomacyand the Search for Independence" Working Paper
- Intrastate conflict
- Non-state actors
- International Relations Theory
- Weak State