Associate Professor of Government
B.A., Economics and Politics, UC Santa Cruz
M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Political Science, Yale University
Click here to view my C.V.
- World Out of Balance: International Relations and the Challenge of American Primacy, with William Wohlforth, Princeton University Press, 2008. More Info
- Producing Security: Multinational Corporations, Globalization, and the Changing Calculus of Conflict, Princeton University Press, 2005. More info.
- "Don't Come Home, America: The Case Against Retrenchment," International Security, forthcoming in 2013, with G. John Ikenberry and William Wohlforth.
- "The Influence of Lobbying by Economic Actors on the Prospects for War and Peace," International Organization, forthcoming in 2013.
- "Can We Identify a Benevolent Hegemon?" Cambridge Review of International Affairs, Vol. 25, No. 1 (2012), pp. 27-38.
- "Assessing the Balance," Cambridge Review of International Affairs, Vol. 42, No. 2 (2011), pp. 201-209, with William Wohlforth.
- “Reshaping the World Order: How Washington Should Reform International Institutions,” with William Wohlforth, Foreign Affairs, Vol. 88, No. 2:49-63, March/April 2009. PDF
- "Reflections on Producing Security," Security Studies, Vol. 16, No. 4: 637-678, October-December 2007. PDF
- "Clarifying the End of Cold War Debate," with William Wohlforth, Cold War History, Vol. 7, No. 3: 447-454, August 2007.
- "Striking the Balance," with William Wohlforth, International Security, Vol. 30, No. 3:186-191, Winter 2005/06.
- "International Relations Theory and the Case Against Unilateralism," with William C. Wohlforth, Perspectives on Politics, Vol. 3, No. 3: 509-524, September 2005. PDF
- "Hard Times for Soft Balancing." with William C. Wohlforth, International Security, Vol. 30, No. 1, 72-108, Summer 2005. PDF
- "Economic Constraints and the Turn Toward Superpower Cooperation in the 1980's," with William C. Wohlforth, in From Conflict Escalation to Conflict Transformation: The Cold War in the 1980's, Olav Njnillstad, ed., Frank Cass, 2004.
- "A Double-Edged Sword: Globalization and Biosecurity," with Kendall Hoyt, International Security, Vol. 28, No. 3: 123-148, Winter 2003/04. PDF
- "American Primacy in Perspective," with William Wohlforth, Foreign Affairs, Vol. 81, No. 4: 20-33, July/August 2002. PDF
- "From Old Thinking to New Thinking in Qualitative Research," with William Wohlforth, International Security, Vol. 26, No.4: 93-111, Spring 2002. PDF
- "Economic Constraints and the End of the Cold War," with William Wohlforth, in Cold War Endgames, William Wohlforth, editor, Penn State University Press, 2002. PDF
- "Power, Globalization, and the End of the Cold War: Reevaluating a Landmark Case for Ideas," with William C. Wohlforth, International Security, Vol. 53, No. 3: 5-53, Winter 2000-01. PDF
- "The Globalization of Production and the Changing Benefits of Conquest," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Vol. 43, No. 5:646-670, October 1999. PDF
- "Dueling Realisms," International Organization, Vol. 51, No. 3: 445-477, Summer 1997. PDF
- International Relations Theory
- International Security
- International Political Economy
- US Foreign Policy