Staff Meeting 10/27/13
GlobeMed Meeting Minutes for 10/27/13
◦ Lisa Carson is the new Grow Trip Coordinator (trip to Thailand to reach out to KWAT)
◦ It will be an 8 week internship in the summer
◦ A group of 3-4 people will be chosen and the application will be sent out tonight
◦ Interviews will be held during Nov 14th on November 25th
▪ Estimated maximum total cost is about $3,000 per person to cover for airfare, housing, and meals
▪ More funding sources are available through Dickey/Tucker/selling puppy chow in the spring, etc.
◦ Make sure that you will be on in the Spring Term!
◦ Ali talked about current events: Polio suspected to have returned to Syria
◦ Mental Health and Global Health was today’s topic
◦ Major Mental Health Diseases
◦ Had a guest speaker: Dr. Robert Santulli – in department of psychiatry, director
▪ Spoke about the stigma behind mental illness
- we discussed in small groups about why gender disparity exist and why women are discriminated against more/ why are women’s health and wellbeing so important to reducing poverty?
- Kristina and Harrison talked about their experience with the women at KWAT at Thailand on the Grow Trip this summer
- Irene talked about Issues that Women face in Developing Nations
o Early marriage
o Watched a Ted Talk by Melinda Gates on why it’s important to put birth
control back on the agenda
-Kachi talked about the Female Genital Mutilation
-Human Trafficking was also a topic that was addressed