The E. M. Facility is equipped with transmission and scanning electron microscopes, a scanned probe microscope, and ancillary equipment.
Horiba labRAM HR Evolution Raman spectrometer/AIST-NT AFM with TERS
- Lasers: 532nm, 633nm, 785nm, 1064nm. Automated selection of laser and filters
- Spectral mapping with stage control, DuoScan, or combination
- 300g/mm and 1800g/mm gratings
- Air cooled open electrode 1024 x 256 pixel CCD detector
- LN2 cooled linear InGaAs array detector, 512 pixels
- Lead Selenide single channel detector
- Heating-cooling stage, -196C to 600C, integrated software control
- AIST SPM with top and side view optics
- 1300nm IR laser
- Fully automated laser and photodiode alignment
- XYZ closed loop scanner with scanning range of 100 x 100 x 15 microns
- AFM modes: contact, semi-contact, non-contact, LFM, PFM, phase contrast, MFM, single-pass MFM, EFM, single-pass EFM, SKM, SCM
- optical coupling to labRAM, fully automated
- TERS mapping
JEOL JEM 1010 transmission electron microscope.
- 40 KV to 100KV TEM
- Side entry goniometer stage, two specimens
- Tilt to +/- 60º
- High contrast objective (FL=5mm)
- Point resolution = 0.45nm, Lattice resolution = 0.2nm
- Bright and dark field imaging
- Selected area and microbeam diffraction
- AMT CCD camera - bottom mount 2048x2048
- Gatan cold trap
- Gatan Cryo-transfer system
- User notes for JEOL 1010
Tescan Vega3 SEM (thermionic emitter scanning electron microscope).
- Computer-Controlled Scanning Electron Microscope, high vacuum operation
- Turbomolecular pump standard (oil-free magnetic high vacuum bearings)
- TESCAN 4-lens Wide Field OpticsTM standard
- Ultra-High-Resolution Digital Image Acquisition up to 16k x 16k pixels (16-bit Video)
- Standard software modules: Measurement & Annotation, Image Processing, Live 3D Scanning & Stereo Imaging, Hardness, Multi-Image Calibrator, Object Area, Print Magnification, Switch-Off Timer, Tolerance, Positioner, Live Video
- Everhart-Thornley Secondary Electron Detector with YAG scintillator
- Integrated Picoammeter with continuous display of beam current
- Integrated Infrared Chamber TV Camera
- Research-grade, multi-ported specimen chamber, 230mm internal dia., 11+ ports
- Fully motorized compucentric 5-axis stage (X=80mm, Y=60mm, Z=47mm, Rotation=360o, Bidirectional tilt = -80o to +80o)
- Fully integrated mechanical suspension vibration isolation
- EDAX SDD X-ray microanalysis system with Octane Pro 10 sq. mm detector and TEAM software.
FEI Company Tecnai F20ST FEG TEM (field emission gun transmission electron microscope).
- 80 KV to 200 KV TEM
- Schottky Field emitter
- High maximum beam current (> 100 nA)
- High current in probe (0.5 nA or more in 1 nm probe)
- Small energy spread (0.7 eV or less)
- Point resolution = 0.24nm, Lattice resolution = 0.1nm
- High resolution objective lens FL = 1.7mm
- High tilt (40º) and large field of view
- Fully computer-controlled, eucentric side-entry, high-stability CompuStage
- Maximized tilts for any X, Y, Z, a, b combination
- Low-background double-tilt holder
- Heating-straining stage
- Drift < 0.5 nm/minute with a standard holder
- AMT CCD digital camera - 1024X1024 side mount, 2048X2048 bottom mount
- Integrated EDAX Si(Li) 30mm2 Super Ultra Thin Window detector (136ev resolution).
- User Notes for Tecnai F20
FEI Company, XL-30 ESEM-FEG (field emission gun environmental scanning electron microscope).
- Field emission gun environmental SEM - High brightness, very small spot size. 0.2 - 30 KV.
- Resolution: 2nm @ 30KV in high vacuum or 10mBar water vapor, 5 nm @1 KV.
- Gaseous SE and BSE detectors for low vacuum imaging.
- Viewing of uncoated samples due to charge neutralization in low vacuum mode.
- Pressures to 10 Torr - hydrated samples are stable in environmental chamber with Peltier-cooled stage (to -20º from ambient).
- Stage automation (X, Y, Z, rotation). Tilt from -15º to +75º.
- TV scan rate plus 4 user preset slow scan speeds.
- HKL, Inc. EBSD system with digital detector system. Details of an older system we built are given on the EBSP page.
- X-ray microanalysis with Edax light element Si(Li) detector.
- Nabity direct write E-beam lithography system.
- User Notes for XL-30 and attachments.
WITEC CRM200 CONFOCAL RAMAN MICROSCOPE
- high resolution 2D Raman Imaging at fixed wavenumbers ,
- x-y, x-z, y-z scans (up 1024 x 1024 pixels)
- acquisition of complete Raman spectra at every pixel (mapping)
- acquisition of Raman spectra at selected areas
- confocal microscopy in reflection
- confocal fluorescence imaging
- Scanning Unit piezo-driven scan platform, scan range 200 x 200 x 20 µm, with integrated capacitive sensors and closed-loop hardware linearization, linearity 0.03 %
- Position Accuracy < 4 nm in x-y- and < 1 nm in z-direction
- Sample Positioning x-y translation stage, with 20 x 20 mm travel, resolution < 1 µm
- Optical Resolution diffraction limited, lateral typ. 200 nm @ 514nm excitation wavelength
- Spectrograph f/4, 300 mm imaging spectrograph with 2 exit ports and 3 gratings (150, 600, 1800 lines/mm)
- Detector Avalanche Photodiode Detector (APD) in single photon counting mode, darkcounts/s < 100, 70% QE @ 633 nm (typ.)
- CCD-Camera thermoelectrically cooled CCD (Peltier cooler), 1340 x 100 pixel format, scientific grade CCD chip, 16bit camera controller, 100 kHz A/D Converter
- User notes for WITec CRM200.
OPC-60 Osmium Plasma Coater.
Veeco/Digital Instruments SCANNING PROBE MICROSCOPE.
- Nanoscope IV controller
- MultiMode SPM, and a Dimension 3100 SPM.
- Atomic Force Microscopy in both contact and tapping mode
- Phase, Lateral Force, etc.
- Magnetic Force Microscopy
- Kelvin Force Microscopy (MM)
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (MM).
- Accessories include a fluid cell for the Dimension 3100 and a heating system for the MultiMode.
- User Notes for Veeco SPM.
Hysitron Ubi-1 Scanning Quasi-static Nanoindenter
- Quasi-static Testing- Measure Young's modulus, hardness, fracture toughness and other
- ScanningWear- Observe and quantify wear volumes and wear rates using in-situ imaging capability.
- Feedback Control- Operate in closed loop load or displacement control for testing techniques such as creep and stress relaxation.
- Piezo Automation- Automated indentation using predetermined patterns or Click Mode allows faster data collection with less operator time.
- Motorized Staging- Automated indentation across large areas on a single sample or between multiple samples increases efficiency and decreases user intervention.
- Active Vibration Isolation- Piezoelectric driven active vibration dampening from 0.7 to 1000Hz for faster stabilization time and optimum results.
- User Notes for Ubi-1.
OTHER INSTRUMENTS. The E.M. Lab has a variety of other instruments for light microscopy, image analysis and processing and specimen preparation. These are briefly described here.