Skip to main content

How to Help a Friend or Loved One

  • Do learn as much as you can about eating disorders and the resources on campus.
  • Don't diagnose. Express concern for your friend's health and well-being.
  • Do contact a campus resource for advice.
  • Don't argue. Listen and talk in a caring way about your specific concerns.
  • Do recommend an evaluation by a psychologist, nutritionist, or medical professional.
  • Don't try to be a hero or a rescuer. Eating disorders require professional help.
  • Do offer to go with your friend to an appointment.
  • Don't gossip.
  • Do seek professional advice if you are concerned about the physical or emotional safety of your friend.
  • Do check back in. Let your friend know you are available to talk further.
  • Don't assume you have all the answers. Ask your friend how you can be supportive.
  • Do get support for yourself from one of the campus resources.
  • Don't get impatient. Eating issues often take time to resolve.
  • Do be a good role model around food, exercise, and weight issues.

If you continue to have concerns for your friend or loved one, please consider reaching out to someone to discuss these concerns.

For life threatening emergencies, please call 911 for immediate help or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.

Counseling Center: Daytime/weekdays: 603-646-99442 After hours/weekends: 603-646-4000

The Counseling Center offers 24-hour crisis counseling for enrolled students or for those who are concerned about an enrolled student.

An emergency might involve:

  • Thoughts and/or plans to hurt yourself or someone else
  • Engaging in a behavior that is life threatening
  • If you have been assaulted, physically or sexually

During Regular Business Hours:  While most counseling services are scheduled on an appointment basis, there may be crisis situations that require immediate or same-day intervention.  The Counseling Center is open from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (fall, winter, spring terms); 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (summer term/term breaks). You can call our office at 603-646-9442 and ask to speak to the counselor on-call or come to the Counseling Center on the second floor of Dick's House.  Please inform the staff member that you have an urgent concern.

After Regular Business Hours:  You can access the counselor on call by calling Dick's House Inpatient Department (IPD) at 603-646-9440 or by calling Safety & Security at 603-646-3333 (summer term/term breaks).

What to Expect:  The on-call counselor will help you determine what care you need and how and where to get it.  At times, just talking through a crisis situation with a counselor is all that is needed.  The counselor on-call will determine with you, if further intervention is appropriate. In some cases, for instance, the counselor on-call will help a distressed student formulate a plan, including resources for support, to get through a night or weekend.

Emergency Numbers:

Counselor on-call (S&S Dispatch):  603-646-3333

Safety & Security 24-hours a day:  603-646-3333

Inpatient Department (IPD):  603-646-9440

Dean-On-Call (S&S Dispatch):  603-646-3333

Hanover Police (emergency) or ambulance:  911

Hanover Police (non-emergency):  603-643-2222

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Emergency Room:  603-650-7000

If you wish to speak to someone from our Eating Disorder Consultation Team, please consider the following options:

Medical Concerns: 603-646-9401

Nutrition Concerns:  603-646-9442

Counseling Concerns:  603-646-9442

Other Dartmouth Resources:

Division of Student Affairs:  603-646-2243

Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Office:  603-646-3482

Tucker Center:  603-646-3780

Community Directors

Coaches/Athletic Trainers


Last Updated: 5/21/18