Associate Professor of Classics and Comparative Literature
311A Reed Hall
- Archaic and classical Greek literature (especially lyric and drama)
- Gender theory
- The classical tradition
- Sappho's Immortal Daughters, Harvard University Press, 1995
- 'Sappho and the Other Woman', in S. Mills, ed., Language and Gender, Longman 1995, pp. 76-94.
- Entries on Sappho and on Phaon in the new edition of the Oxford Classical Dictionary, eds S. Homblower and A. Spawforth, Oxford University Press, 1996, pp. 1153-4, 1355.
- 'Sappho and the Other Woman' [another version], in E. Greene, ed. Re-reading Sappho, University of California Press, 1996, pp. 248-264.
- The Sacred and the Feminine in Ancient Greece (jointly edited with S. Blundell) 1998
- 'Eros the Blacksmith', in L. Foxhall and 3. Salmon, eds Thinking Men: Masculinity and its Self Representation in the Classical Tradition, Routledge, 1998, pp. 71-82.
- Review of Kevin Wetmore, The Athenian Sun in an African Sky, in Theatre Journal vol. 55 no. 1, March 2003.
- Chapter on the reception of Greek lyric in the 19th and 20th centuries, in Cambridge Companion to Greek Lyric, ed. F. Budelmann, forthcoming 2008.
- Entry on Sappho in Harvard Dictionary of the Classical Tradition, forthcoming.