Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature
209 Sanborn House
- Medieval literature (English, Latin, French, German), especially 11th-13th centuries, Romances, historiography and pseudo-historiography, Saints' lives, literature and art history, literature and music
Selected Publications and Articles
- The Book of Encouragement and Comfort: Goscelin's Letter to the Recluse Eva. Library of Medieval Women, series editor Jane Chance. Cambridge: Boydell and Brewer, 2004
- Inventiones: Fiction and Referentiality in Twelfth-Century English Historical Writing. Chapel Hill: North Carolina University Press, 1996.
- "Entrances and Exits: Performing the Psalms in Goscelin of St. Bertin's Liber Confortatorius." Speculum 83.2 (April 2008): 283-302.
- "Neither/Neuter: Hildebert's Hermaphrodite and the Medieval Latin Epigram," Studi medievali 3rd series 48 (2007): 789-807.
- "Prolixitas Temporum: Futurity in Medieval Historical Narratives." Reading Medieval Culture: Essays in Honor of Robert W. Hanning. Eds. Robert Stein and Sandra Prior. U. of Notre Dame Press, 2005
- "Functions of Fiction in Historical Writing." Writing Medieval History: Theory and Practice for the Post-Traditional Middle Ages, ed. Nancy Partner. Hodder and Arnold, 2005.
- Annotated verse translation of Baudri of Bourgueil's "Adelae Comitissae," Journal of Medieval Latin 11 (2001): 60-141.
- "La Vie des deux Offa, L'enfance de Saint Edmond, et la logique des antécédants." Médiévales 38 (2000), 17-34.
- "Ten-Sixty-Six: The Anonymous Life of St. Edward and William of Malmesbury's Life of St. Wulfstan as Narratives of Change." Speculum 74.3 (July 1999): 565-86.
- "Closed Doors: An Epithalamium for Queen Edith, Widow and Virgin." Constructions of Widowhood and Virginity in the Middle Ages, ed. Angela J. Weisl and Cindy Carlson (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1999), 63-92.
- "The Temptation of St. Æthelthryth." Exemplaria 9 (1997): 139-63.
- "New Werke: St. Erkenwald, St. Albans, and the Medieval Sense of the Past." Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies 24 (1994): 387-414.