The Foreign Language Conversation Partners Program aims to assist students of foreign languages with their speaking, listening, and communication skills through constant practice with a native or near-native speaker of that language. For up to two hours per week, conversation partner pairs will meet with the sole purpose of having a conversation in the language of study.
- Meetings should occur on a weekly basis, unless both members of the pair agree to operate on a different schedule. Scheduling meetings is the responsibility of the pair and should be determined in advance.
- For students who receive financial aid from the College, the Tutor Clearinghouse will fully subsidize up to 2 hours per week per match. Any meetings in excess of that will be at the tutee's own expense or will be considered community service. (Note: Tutor Clearinghouse will subsidize a language tutor OR a conversation partner, but not both.)
- The style, time, and location of the meetings will be at the discretion of the CP pair.
- Conversation Partners are NOT to discuss course work or class topics with their tutee during CP meetings. The only obligation of the CP is to converse with the student in the language of study. They are NOT to correct or teach the student grammar, though they may provide the student with new vocabulary when appropriate.
- Both members of the pair should keep an accurate record of all meetings. Any student who falsifies these records will be subject to disciplinary action by the College.
- The language of study is to be the only language spoken at conversation partner meetings, except in rare instances when it is impossible to do so. Both parties will sign a language pledge agreeing to this.
*Download the Conversation Partner Recommendation Form (to be filled out by a professor)
Last Updated: 8/23/12