Finding a Job

There are many question you may have about how to find a student job at Dartmouth. We've listed some commonly-asked questions below to help in this process. If you still have questions after reading through this list, please email or call us at 603-646-3641!

What kinds of jobs are there?

All kinds! Research assistants, data-entry, computer help, dining services, office assistance, tutoring, and many more! All available job opportunities can be found on Jobnet or by signing up for the TempJobs listserv (see next question).

back to top

How do I know what jobs are available?

Our website lists available student employment positions in two different ways:

  1. Jobnet— the online database of all current employment opportunities for students on campus or at work-study approved community service agencies. Positions posted will indicate whether they are work-study only or not. (Remember work-study is federally funded and is only available to U.S. Citizens & Lawful Permanent Residents.) This database has a comprehensive list of positions and is updated frequently.
  2. TempJobs— email notifications with offers from faculty, staff and community members for short term and miscellaneous jobs like babysitting, yard work, tutoring, moving, etc. Students can subscribe to the listserv and receive notifications as opportunities arise. (Students who are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents are reminded to check with an immigration attorney about their ability to work in the U.S. Students on a Dartmouth-sponsored F-1 or J-1 visa are never allowed to perform work which is not paid by Dartmouth College such babysitting, etc.)  

back to top

How do I apply for a job that is listed?

Each position announcement includes the job description and requirements, when and how to apply, and the name of the contact person. Some positions simply wish to receive an email of interest, while others request applications or resumes. Simply follow the instructions provided.

  • If a resume is requested, be sure you edit your resume and cover letter for each position application.
  • Include a copy of your class schedule with your application. Don't assume your employer knows the Dartmouth class schedule. Rather than stating "I have a 10A", say "I have class from 10am - Noon every Tuesday and Thursday as well as Wednesdays from 3pm - 4pm."
  • Practice basic interview questions (pdf, 277KB) with friends or family.
  • Dress professionally for the interview.
  • Have a few questions to ask about the job, the office, or duties required of you.

back to top

When should I start applying for jobs?

You are welcome to begin applying anytime. The hiring timeline is at the discretion of the supervisors, so some are eager to fill their positions prior to the start of term, while others prefer to select student employees after students have confirmed their class schedule for the term. You won't be 'too late' to find employment if you do it the first week of the term, but it doesn't hurt to look and inquire in advance.

back to top

When can I start working at Dartmouth?

To be eligible for student employment, one must be a matriculated student at Dartmouth College. For newly-admitted undergraduate students, this generally means they cannot start working for Dartmouth College until the first day of classes.

back to top

I'm not 18 years old yet. Can I still work?

Yes! New Hampshire law requires youths aged 14 or 15 are required to complete a youth work certificate. This certificate is obtain through the completion of the Employers' Request for Child Labor Form (pdf). All completed youth work certificates must be sent to the Payroll Office before employment can begin. Completed forms can be sent via campus mail to Hinman Box 6161 or via US Mail to 7 Lebanon - Suite 309, Hanover NH 03755.

Youths aged 16 or 17 years who have graduated from high school or obtained a general equivalency diploma are exempted from this rule.

back to top

How many hours should I work?

Enrolled students average about 10 hours of work per week. Depending on their schedules, some students may choose to work more or less than this.

Students in valid F-1 or J-1 status are limited to a maximum of 20 hours of campus employment per week during an enrolled term; they may work "full time" during interim periods or earned vacation terms; for more information, those students should contact their OVIS advisor.

back to top

Can I work at more than one job?

Yes, you are eligible to work for more than one employer at any time. However, it is important to first carefully consider the balance of work and academics. Be sure to notify your employers if you are working multiple positions. It is also highly recommended that students not work overtime (over 40 hours per week) when enrolled in classes. Notify your employers if you think this may be a problem.

Students in valid F-1 or J-1 status are limited to a maximum of 20 hours of on campus employment per week during an enrolled term. Read about other limitations on OVIS's (Office of Visa and Immigration Services) website.

back to top

I was awarded 'Federal Work-Study' in my Financial Aid package. How do I access these funds?

Students who are eligible for federal work-study have this component built into their financial aid package. This dollar amount is not applied directly to your tuition. If you are eligible for work-study, it is up to you to pursue employment in order to earn and utilize these funds. Any position that is paid hourly and posted on Jobnet will use your work-study funding award.

back to top

I was awarded 'Employment' in my Financial Aid package. Is this the same as work-study? How can I access these funds?

"Employment" is the Dartmouth College version of the federal work-study program, but it is funded by institutional (not federal) funds. If you see a position listed on Jobnet that specifies that it is "work-study only" (most often these are positions at Community Service Agencies or one of the Dartmouth Professional schools), you are NOT eligible to apply.

Fortunately, the vast majority of our positions are open to students who are legally allowed to work according to their immigration status, so you should not have any difficulty finding a position on campus! Remember—if you are awarded 'Employment,' it is up to you to find a job on campus in order to earn and utilize these funds. You are welcome to accept hourly or stipend-paid positions to earn your funding. 

back to top

I'm an international student. Can I work?

Yes!  Students who are not U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents are not eligible for Federal Work-Study, but may still be eligible for on-campus employment if their visa status allows work and if they have obtained any required permission from OVIS (Office of Visa and Immigration Services).  If you see a position listed on Jobnet that specifies that it is "work-study only," you are NOT eligible to apply. (These are most often positions at off-campus Community Service Agencies.)

Students who wish to work for one of the Dartmouth Professional schools should ensure that the payment is from Dartmouth College and should consult their OVIS advisor if they have questions.   

Once you are hired for a particular position, you are required to file paperwork within three days of your start date in order to legally work and be paid.  This paperwork must be completed at the Payroll Office (located at 7 Lebanon Street, Suite 309). Please refer to details on the Office of Visa and Immigration Services (OVIS) website.

back to top

I am suspended, separated or withdrawn from the College. Can I still work as a student employee?

No. Suspended, separated or withdrawn students are not eligible to work as student employees at Dartmouth College. 

Please note: Students on medical withdrawal are required to leave campus within 48 hours after the withdrawal has been approved, and may not return to campus before readmission without prior permission from the appropriate dean. 

back to top

How long can I continue to work as a student employee?

You may work as a student employee while you are an actively enrolled student. You may continue working as a student employee for one term following the completion of your degree coursework. For example, a student who completes his coursework for his degree at the end of Fall Term may continue working as a student until the end of the Winter Term.  This individual may not continue working as a student in the Spring Term, even if he does not graduate until the end of Spring Term.

back to top