|8½ oz pkg||corn muffin mix|
|3 c||white bread, cubed|
|8 oz||hot turkey Italian sausage|
|1 c||onions, diced|
|2½ c||fat-free milk|
|1 tsp||ground cumin|
|1/8 tsp||ground black pepper|
|10 oz can||diced tomatoes with peppers, undrained|
|8 oz||egg substitute|
|1 c||reduced-fat Monterey Jack or mild cheddar cheese, divided|
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; cool.
- Crumble muffins into a large bowl; stir in bread. Set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage and onions in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain.
- Mix milk, cumin, pepper, tomatoes, and egg substitute until well-blended. Add sausage mixture; stir well.
- Add breads to egg mixture. Stir well.
- Spoon half the mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with ½ cup cheese. Spoon in the rest of the mixture.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake casserole for 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and cook for another 20 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
MAKE AHEAD PLAN
You can assemble this entire dish up to a week in advance. Assemble the casserole according to directions; cover and freeze.
You can also prepare the corn bread ahead of time, cool, crumble, mix with cubed white bread. Place them in an airtight container container in the refrigerator for a couple of days before assembling the casserole.
The day before
Take dish out of the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator (about 24 hours). Uncover and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before baking as directed.
Calories: 271 (25% from fat)
Fat: 6.7g (sat 2.7g, mono 2.6g, poly 1.7g)